Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bored out of my mind at work... New to the forum, new to this bike. The old forum I surfed when I had my GSX-R had a little chat thread where the common members would drop in and just shoot the shit... kinda like at the barstools in bike shops kinda thing... not necessarily about bikes all the time, but just good conversation... I've learned a lot of good info, and heard a lot of BS, but in good humor in that thread on that forum.

Thought I'd try to start one up over here. Who else is stuck at a damn computer all day at work, trying to find the end of the internet?

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
I feel your pain!

Duff,
I feel your pain! And it's Friday; and it was a cool 53 degrees on the ride into work this morning. Awful hard to make that turn into the parking lot, could have just kept going until Monday! Fortunately (?) I got plenty to keep me busy and keep my mind off of motorcycles. (yeah, right!)
Ride safe!

·
Registered
73 Posts
it's in the low 40's here today with rain. I have a feeling its going to be a very boring day at work today.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
47 when I started, 53 when I got into town, and the only thing that kept me from pointin' the front tire toward Florida was knowin' how torn up all those SE states are right now... I have a feeling a lunch ride and early departure are in order today! Especially since, for ONCE, I really have nothing to do!

The world was angry at me and my luxurious ride in this morning, too. Changed lanes just barely in time to avoid a madman behind me who ended up running the red light I was stopping at (situational awareness is a MUST on every ride!!), found a patch of sand that hand't been there before all the rain last week, dodged a 5 gallon plastic bucket that fell off a truck in front of me, and practically ruined my seat via pucker when a truck pulling a toyhauler trailer bounced said trailer off the concrete divider in the middle of our "eternal construction" highway... Maybe it's a GOOD thing I exited for work??

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
You're tellin' me. Lookin' forward to the day I don't have to race all the other rats to work.

Actually, just lookin' forward to tomorrow. It's BACA's 100-mile awareness ride to close out the national Child Abuse Awareness month, and there's nothin' quite like hangin' out with a bunch of like minded folks, food and drink, and a lot o' rumble down the road!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where's this at? I was going to go to the Western Plains Downed Bikers Kickoff Run in Elk City this Sunday, but weather is looking un-permitting... maybe I'll go check out the BACA thing Saturday

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
All the OK chapters are riding in from various locations, and cruising around various small towns and such in their area before heading out to the statewide gathering. Couldn't say, off the top of my head, if this is a public event, though. I'm thinking it's more of a chapter/member thing at this point.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Interesting side point, though. They're trying to get a chapter of the Downed Bikers Association going in the Tulsa area now, too. What a great concept!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that's been in the works for quite a while. They've finally got all the kinks worked out, 501(c)3 is in progress and they have 23 members signed up. Have to have 30 members before it can officially become a chapter. Once the 30 are signed up, the Central OK chapter is going to head up there to help set up the board member elections and such.

·
Registered
73 Posts
barely.. I'm still recovering from our ABATE chapters Spring Fling this past weekend.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So that wasn't just an Oklahoma thing then, huh?

Did my first "long" ride on my Vulcan this weekend. Did a 160 mile poker run for a small local Fire Dept. Going to have to find a seat with a backrest. While the bike is generally more comfortable than my GSX-R was, my back was killing me afterwards. On the sport bike, the way I sat, my back was forced to stay straight...on the Vulcan, my back naturally wanted to hunch over. Lower back was killing me by the end of the day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've been doing a few shorter rides trying to get my stock seat broken in more. I don't like going numb halfway through a long ride.

I threw an engine guard on the bike over the weekend and my exhaust should be going on today if all goes well, maybe tomorrow. I'll throw some pics up in the "what did you do to your vulcan today?" thread after its all finished up.

we did road cleanup before the party. we didn't think ahead like the other group and didn't bring poles with nails in the end. my back was killing me all day yesterday.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm sticking with the stock seat for awhile. Last week I bought an engine guard, highway pegs, exhaust, and a swingarm bag. I'm done buying things for awhile.. until I sell my tuning software and full exhaust off my car.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine came with guard, highway pegs, windshield, cobra exhaust, and some old raggedy bags. Gettin the seat, some new bags, sissy bar and backrest for the wife, and probably going to be done with it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
this is my first new bike.. I'm just going to take it easy and enjoy it. I don't want to dump thousands into it like I did with my car. I woke up one morning and thought "wtf am I doing?" and decided to go back to pretty much stock with it. maybe I'm getting old?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hear ya. I dumped a shitload of cash in to my GSX-R. But it was what I enjoyed. Everyone has their hobbies. Traded my GSX-R for this and all the money I dumped in to the GSX-R I swapped on to my wife's GSX-R before I traded mine. So I still have something with gobs of money dumped in to it. I'm not going to screw around with any performance factors on this bike, just want to make it comfortable to take on LONG rides.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts