Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I have an 09 classic 900 and have noticed my stock fuel cap gasket is all cracked up. I searched for a replacement gasket, but found out that u have to buy gas cap and all. The new cap and gasket costs 95 bucks! That and I will have two keys to mess with (1 ignition and 1 fuel cap).
Well I have searched and stumbled across a barons low profile gas cap and was wondering what you guys and gals thought about their product?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have absolutely no experience with the Barons LP spin-on gas cap. It looks like you need to epoxy some weird threaded thingy into your filler to get this low-profile cap to spin into. You wouldn't find me doing that to my tank.

In addition, it looks to be about $90. And it does not LOCK. I'm not sure how that's a savings over the OEM cap.

Yes, having 2 keys would be a pain, but it might beat some moron dumping sugar in your open gas tank some night while your bike sits waiting for you.

If I were you, I'd figure out a way to fix/replace the cracked gasket on your original cap.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Check with your local locksmith they may be able to re key the lock on the new gas cap to use your original keys.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I have absolutely no experience with the Barons LP spin-on gas cap. It looks like you need to epoxy some weird threaded thingy into your filler to get this low-profile cap to spin into. You wouldn't find me doing that to my tank.

In addition, it looks to be about $90. And it does not LOCK. I'm not sure how that's a savings over the OEM cap.

Yes, having 2 keys would be a pain, but it might beat some moron dumping sugar in your open gas tank some night while your bike sits waiting for you.

If I were you, I'd figure out a way to fix/replace the cracked gasket on your original cap.
I agree with Shadow. You can find gasket material pretty cheap and cut out a new gasket and bond it to your current gas cap and would be a much more economical fix without the hassle of re-keying a new OEM cap or having multiple keys. I also wouldn't mess with epoxying a new piece into my tank. Too much could go wrong if it's not done properly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the replies! I had no clue that u had to epoxy that barons cap in! That's definetly not gonna be happening! As far as gasket material what kind of material would u guys suggest?

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
You can do a search for gasket material sheet and find what you're looking for. Just find something that looks to be about the same as what's on the filler cap. Usually costs around 5 bucks a sheet if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
235 Posts
OK so the Barons cap is like 75 to 85 bucks and the OEM is 95 bucks?

So for 10 bucks difference I would just order the OEM cap and reference your key code then they will send one that is keyed to your key.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts