Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be putting on a Baron's front pulley this weekend or next, in anticipation of nicer weather soon in mid-Michigan. Since it's clear and sunny today with clean roads and temperatures around 40º, I started the MT 07 and ran down to Auto Zone for some grease. The service manual recommends molybdenum disulfide grease for the splined pulley shaft; the closest thing I could find is STP Moly-EP which has "contains molybdenum disulfide to help protect against wear" as a bullet item. I also ordered a few new lockwashers and other assorted parts from Partzilla a while ago.

Now, the service manual recommends replacing the lockwasher with a new one, and applying molybdenum disulfide grease. I get the impression that most people just swap the pulleys and don't bother replacing the washer, and I don't know if anyone applies grease. Does this sound like the right sort of grease? Has anyone replaced the lockwasher just to see what happens? It's got to be in the service manual for a reason. Are there any gotchas or tricks or tips on doing the pulley swap, aside from breaking the nuts loose, or any parts or consumables I'll need aside from a bunch of metric hex keys/sockets and a torque wrench?

In other news, expect an unseasonable month-long snowstorm throughout the Midwest, now that I've un-winterized the Yamaha...

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'll be putting on a Baron's front pulley this weekend or next, in anticipation of nicer weather soon in mid-Michigan. Since it's clear and sunny today with clean roads and temperatures around 40º, I started the MT 07 and ran down to Auto Zone for some grease. The service manual recommends molybdenum disulfide grease for the splined pulley shaft; the closest thing I could find is STP Moly-EP which has "contains molybdenum disulfide to help protect against wear" as a bullet item. I also ordered a few new lockwashers and other assorted parts from Partzilla a while ago.

Now, the service manual recommends replacing the lockwasher with a new one, and applying molybdenum disulfide grease. I get the impression that most people just swap the pulleys and don't bother replacing the washer, and I don't know if anyone applies grease. Does this sound like the right sort of grease? Has anyone replaced the lockwasher just to see what happens? It's got to be in the service manual for a reason. Are there any gotchas or tricks or tips on doing the pulley swap, aside from breaking the nuts loose, or any parts or consumables I'll need aside from a bunch of metric hex keys/sockets and a torque wrench?

In other news, expect an unseasonable month-long snowstorm throughout the Midwest, now that I've un-winterized the Yamaha...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a few tubes of high grade moly grease from Amazon. I bought a new washer grow Kawasaki. For me it's always risk vs reward. For a fender washer or muffler washer I just reuse and if needed so some blue picture. But on the pulley washer I buy new because I'm not planning on going back till the belt breaks and for me that could be thirty thousand more.
I like the idea of real important areas get new. Old roadracer. Got my plan on what's important and what ain't.
As long as the tab is good you could reuse. If you have to.

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the replies, guys. I'll install the new washer (I've got it on-hand) per the service manual. I'll probably just get the Honda M-77.

Anyone in mid-Michgan, sorry about the snowstorm this week. That's my fault.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So here's a bright one for everyone. Can a 24 volt impact gun, spin the pulley nut off and the impact gun says it has like some stupid amount of ft lbs of torque . Can you put back on with the gun by guessing the torque. I know about the puller tool. I'm just asking
Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
So here's a bright one for everyone. Can a 24 volt impact gun, spin the pulley nut off and the impact gun says it has like some stupid amount of ft lbs of torque . Can you put back on with the gun by guessing the torque. I know about the puller tool. I'm just asking
Thanks

First, kudos to Du-Rron for finding and sharing that the 57001-1672 will work properly.

I can answer the first question for you as I have been in the auto repair business for over 40 years. To remove a nut, you do not need torque readings. But to install said nut, it has to be tighten to the proper torque as set by the manufacturer. Too loose and it might come apart and the pulley would start to wear on the shaft (not desirable). Too tight and it will distort the threads, might snap, or may destroy whatever is behind the nut (also not desirable). You will find most 1/2" impact guns exceed the 94 ft·lb of torque required to tighten the pulley nut.
Kosmo , Further... I don't want to ride a bike that you have been "guessing" on how to put back together...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks
You can absolutely not put it on with an impact.
The threads are on the end of the transmission output shaft. If you damage those, you have to split the cases and take the transmission apart to repair it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Kosmo , Further... I don't want to ride a bike that you have been "guessing" on how to put back together...
Well bud
Aye Aye Captain how could i have made such a blunder of a statement in your presence , I wasn't looking for someone to ride it so your safe

·
Registered
34 Posts
The threads are on the end of the transmission output shaft. If you damage those, you have to split the cases and take the transmission apart to repair it.
Thanks for the warning bud!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Look, I responded to your post while being a little hot. First, I should have re read the thread so you got me. I have asked common questions that save money on certain tools when you get on a site like this. Real time saving by the guys that wrench them. . Second I didn't come to make enemies, I bought a 2012 classic with 6 thousand miles back two months ago. I took my bike apart since then have replaced all the wheel bearings, took off all the suspension linkage and lubed, Modified and mounted the ZX14r shock , new brakes removed front wheel and took the steering head apart checked clean and re greased. removed swing arm and regreased. Put on 2 new Michelin Commander 2s and replaced lights all around.
I'm saying dont judge me based on that post. I'm gong in ten different directions like we all do. but when I lay wrenches i promise you i am meticulous.
I just am hoping to share and ask without being called out. Im a virgin to vulcan what can i say. So i will be asking again cuz I have only just learned this bike. This makes no matter but I went from an AMA Superbike series mechanic on a guy named Eddie Lawson and then went with him to wrench on his Indy Lights series entry and on to his CART or Indycar now. this was a along time ago.
Guess this sounds like i'm trying get your approval but actually, when I realize i made a mistake I want to clear that right up if possible, not even knowing each other.
Now with that said, that freaking Zx14r shock mod is unbelievable if you have not done it. So adjustable.So comfortable.
K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts