Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am hoping that some of you could answer a question for me. Will a Michelin Commander II 170/80/15 tire work in conjunction with a Barons Front Pulley? Searching showed two people no and one yes, but seeing as I will have the pulley today....and the shop couldn't get the Metz 880's that I originally wanted. I want to know if there will be any issues with this setup, or should I just do an immediate return shipping on the pulley.

Thx

Chris

·
Registered
96 Posts
So I am hoping that some of you could answer a question for me. Will a Michelin Commander II 170/80/15 tire work in conjunction with a Barons Front Pulley? Searching showed two people no and one yes, but seeing as I will have the pulley today....and the shop couldn't get the Metz 880's that I originally wanted. I want to know if there will be any issues with this setup, or should I just do an immediate return shipping on the pulley.

Thx

Chris
The size of the tire is what counts, not the brand! I have the Avon 170/80/15 with the 2 over pulley and it works great!
You will not register all the miles that you are actually riding since you changed the gear ratio but it completely fixes the spedo, it brought mine to exact reading according to a GPS, at 75 it reads 75!
Enjoy it, I am!

·
Registered
536 Posts
The marked size of the tire is not consistant with the actual size on various tires. I am running the Commander II's 170/80/15 with the Barons front pulley on my Classic and it works fine. I put the Commander next to a Pirelli MT 66 both marked 170/80 and there was a good inch difference when not mounted. The guy at the Kawasaki shop that mounted the tire and installed it said it had clearance but was tight and only put 36 pounds of air in it because he wasn't sure if the tire would grow at higher speed. I was concerned that he might have to overtighten the belt to get the clearance but it feels fine to me and no belt squeak. I think that every bike is a little different though so be prepared to have your inner fender get rub marks....mine has them but they were there from when I ran my oversized 170/80 Pirelli. My 170/80 Commander II was $40 cheaper than the 180/70 Commander II so I was glad it worked. I say go for it and if it rubs your inner fender inside its no big deal...I never heard or felt mine and it just rubbed until it had clearance on that very thin inner plastic. No big deal and you will love the difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts