Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first question, will they work together. I know the pulley moves the tire forward a little bit. So when my stock tire wears out will the commander II work? And does the pulley fix the speedo issue? If you have both of them installed will that have a negative effect on the gearing and the speedo? I think the barons and larger tire alone make the gears a little taller and fix the speedo. But using both, will the speedo now be slow and the gears too tall? thanks so much.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have had the Commander11 on for ages and have tried the Barons REAR pulley (took it off and put original rear pulley back on). I don't think you will fit that tyre with the Barons front pulley as there is very little clearance left.
I found the rear pulley made the gearing to high for MY liking, and the speedo did go the other way on my bike (slow). Gearing and speedo JUST with Commander11 seems perfect for this bike.

Here is my 3 Tyre Comparison Thread with Commander11
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67201

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not familiar with the tire size, but I changed my front pulley on my 900 custom very recently and measured afterwards to share here, and it moved my rear tire forward exactly 1.2 centimeters.

That doesn't sound like much at all, but it was enough to notice while looking at the bike from a distance of ten feet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Gearing and speedo JUST with Commander11 seems perfect for this bike.

Here is my 3 Tyre Comparison Thread with Commander11
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67201

I agree with what he said. I just changed to the Commander II while keeping stock pulleys. The result was lowered RPMs and according to my hand held GPS the speedo is now accurate. I think doing the larger tire AND a pulley would be too much.

I will say that I've experienced a bit of a wobble of the Commander IIs when cold but I think it may be a tire pressure issue that I'm still working on.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I just put the Barons pulley and Michelins Commanders II on two weeks ago. I haven't had any issues other than the junior mechanic I took it to didn't align the back tire right and had the belt to tight. It pulls the back tire up a little but not much. remember to remove the belt guide inside the housing. I haven't had time to check the speedo yet. There's a road by my house that has one of those "Your Speed" radar gun stands. I'll hit that up this weekend.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just put this combination of Baron's front pulley and 170/80/15 Commander II's on my Classic 500 miles ago....works great. My speedo is spot on and I have checked it to 3 different traffic radars. I was concerned because when I compared the Pirelli 66's rear tire to the new Commander II there was quite a difference even though they were both 170/80/15's. Works fine and they didn't have to overtighten the belt to get the proper clearance which is what I was worried about. By the way....these tires are awesome. The front wobble I had on the Pirelli's is gone and handling is great...much improved. Now to see if I get more miles out of them like they say. The cool thing is that these oversized Commander II's are $40 cheaper than the 180/70/15 standard size....seems crazy to me but they clobber you for the stock size. I took my bike to the local Kawasaki shop and they did the complete install and tires for $335 with tax out the door. Thats crazy cheap in my book.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I just put this combination of Baron's front pulley and 170/80/15 Commander II's on my Classic 500 miles ago....works great. My speedo is spot on and I have checked it to 3 different traffic radars. I was concerned because when I compared the Pirelli 66's rear tire to the new Commander II there was quite a difference even though they were both 170/80/15's. Works fine and they didn't have to overtighten the belt to get the proper clearance which is what I was worried about. By the way....these tires are awesome. The front wobble I had on the Pirelli's is gone and handling is great...much improved. Now to see if I get more miles out of them like they say. The cool thing is that these oversized Commander II's are $40 cheaper than the 180/70/15 standard size....seems crazy to me but they clobber you for the stock size. I took my bike to the local Kawasaki shop and they did the complete install and tires for $335 with tax out the door. Thats crazy cheap in my book.
that is crazy cheap. I got the tires cheap but they got me on the installation. Was the 170/80/15 stock on your 9? I ask because the stock on mine is 180/70/15.

·
Registered
536 Posts
No...stock was 180/70/15. I had been running the Pirelli's RT 66 oversize 170/80/15 for 2 tires and they just didn't go the distance for me...7,500 miles tops. Commander II's are considerably taller than the 170/80 Perelli's at the same size for some reason but they still work. My dealer is owned by Rocky Mountain ATV who is a huge internet seller so they get the tires for next to nothing is all I can figure. I can't hardly buy the tires and install them myself for this price...its crazy. I can't wait to wear them out...lol.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay Dirtwiz and GFISH, you guys pushed me over the edge. Getting both done at the same time. Sure wish my dealer would throw me a bone like that. Best price I have been able to find is a front and rear tire for about 260, I found a guy that would put them on for 50 a piece and then the installation of the pulley. My tires are in good shape, but I don't like that wobble in the front tire when I change lanes or hit a smooth spot on the pavement. Thanks, guys

·
Registered
536 Posts
I stumbled across my reciept for my tires today and I was incorrect on the price I paid for them. I told everyone it was $335 installed out the door...it was actually $331 installed out the door.....lol. Stupid cheap. I'm considering practicing my power burnouts at this price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts