Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a big air kit on my 900 custom. Has anybody done this and had problems I should know about? I did find one thread that said his Fuel Injection light came on and he doesn't know why. Any tips I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
89 Posts
I want to install a big air kit on my 900 custom. Has anybody done this and had problems I should know about? I did find one thread that said his Fuel Injection light came on and he doesn't know why. Any tips I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark
It was easy. I was the one with the FI light issue. After doing some deeper inspecting i found i had knocked a hose off, put it back on and it works like a charm. Took me about 1.5 hours to install that and my Cobra FI2000. Love it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You mentioned using a Cobra FI2000, do I have to use a fuel controller with the Big Air Kit?
From all of the reading I have done, if you have stock pipes with your BAK, you don't need an FI. But, if you have aftermarket or modified stock pipes you are probably running too lean and will need the FI.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Put one on myself, dead easy to do just take your time, make sure everything that comes off, hoses and sensor, goes back on and check to ensure nothing knocked loose in the process, while you are at it, great time to marble the Reid valve intake hose, slip a standard marble in and stick the hose back to the plug and clamp it down.

Fuel management systems are not required with only one replacement, if you replace both air and exhaust you are highly advised to put on a fuel system, you will not believe how lean it will get, yes I have experience in that area:eek::eek:.

IMHO debafeling does not increase the air flow, just sound volume; the catalytic convert is the restriction on the pipe

Ride safe and keep the shiny bits in the air.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Quick answer, calms down (does not stop) the popping from the exhaust after you change the exhaust.
If you are not going to change the exhaust (I am betting you will :) ), do not do it, yes even with the stock exhaust the popping is there but not noticeable, the reid valve allows fresh air into the exhaust port to allow unburned fuel (on deceleration) to ignite in the pipe thus causing a sound most describe as a pop, I call it backfire, very noticeable on muscle cars with straight pipes.

Word of caution, you will not believe the sound volume from the BAK, the first time I started it I thought I had done something wrong, actually I had done something right, put on a BAK, sweet look and sounds good now.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Agreed. I just installed mine Saturday and love it. Great throttle response off the line and on the roll. I have to admit I am pleasantly surprised. I really wasnt expecting much of a change.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got the comet design BAK in the mail and I hope to put it on by the weekend. Might read a bit more into the marble mod because my exhaust pops enough as it is and maybe work on the gas gauge fix.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If the only enhancement is the BAK (stock pipes and no fuel management system) does this increase the temp of the engine and is it necessary to add the fuel management system to bring the temp of the engine down. Saw a video on crusiercustomizing suggesting that you needed a fuel managment system to fully utilize the BAK and cool down the engine as compared to the stock air box. Just wanted to know if there were any thoughts out there. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love the BAK,my friend rode my 900 custom for me (accident prevents me from riding currently) and after adding the BAK,Cobra Slashdowns and a PCIII,no more popping! The bike sounds great and my friend says it's much more responsive now.The BAK was an easy install,just check the threads before installing,I had to run a tap to clean them up.Also the BAK has a slimmer profile,doesn't hit your leg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It was easy. I was the one with the FI light issue. After doing some deeper inspecting i found i had knocked a hose off, put it back on and it works like a charm. Took me about 1.5 hours to install that and my Cobra FI2000. Love it.

What do you have all your pots set on your cobra FI?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts