Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. My dealer in town has a 20% off sale tomorrow and it's a better deal than I can find anywhere else. $240 if I remember correctly. Where did you order yours from?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have one and love it, made a big difference. Easy install, took me about 45 minutes, if it were not for these big meat hooks on the end of my arms it could have been easier!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I couldn't justify the cost for minimal power gains in a cruiser (I have boat expenses too). I relocated the air inlet beneath the idle speed screw and put the OEM rubber snorkle piece in the hole. Removed the OEM filter material, especially the restrictive metal grill and replaced it with Uni Foam 60ppi. Cut some 1/2" screen to keep the foam from getting sucked in. Readjusted the Fi2000. Total cost was $25 for filter material and the oil. The material was 12x16 enough for 4 filters, so cleaning isn't a problem since there's a ready spare to put in while the old one dries. Noticeable difference while I save for the $450 wet nitrous system.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Initial thought is up to a 25 shot. Need to do some research on the engine internals. Not looking to degrade reliability - just something to play with over the winter. Dang, pix got lost.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That sounds like a plan. Do you plan on putting the kit on a MSD window switch? Just incase you tap the rev limiter its extra protection!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I went to the dealership all set on buying the Big Air Kit and I went to my usual salesmen who hasn't steered me wrong yet. This is the story I got from him. He told me that with the K&N filter or and oiled filter, the tuning can regularly change. Basically, as the oil wears off from normal wear, the air flow changes. Not a big deal; just need to stay up with the oiling. The second thing he told me was tuning it on the dyno is close to realistic, but not actual. The air flow changes from the fans blowing on the dyno to the air flowing to the filter on the road. I am still pondering this as I am finding it hard to believe, but I wanted to know if anyone has heard this or experienced any problems on the street with an aftermarket kit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I went to the dealership all set on buying the Big Air Kit and I went to my usual salesmen who hasn't steered me wrong yet. This is the story I got from him. He told me that with the K&N filter or and oiled filter, the tuning can regularly change. Basically, as the oil wears off from normal wear, the air flow changes. Not a big deal; just need to stay up with the oiling. The second thing he told me was tuning it on the dyno is close to realistic, but not actual. The air flow changes from the fans blowing on the dyno to the air flowing to the filter on the road. I am still pondering this as I am finding it hard to believe, but I wanted to know if anyone has heard this or experienced any problems on the street with an aftermarket kit.
Funny stuff:D

Your air fuel ratio will not change from tuning on the dyno to street driving. Its not like when you hit the streets you get crazy amounts of air that is forced into the motor. With oil in or out of the filter is will not affect airflow in any way.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's the same thing I was thinking. I've been racking my brain about it over the past few days. On the same note, I've never known a dealer to talk someone out of a purchase. I suppose people act a little different here in Indiana!

·
Registered
246 Posts
CdnVulcan Guy

I know this is an old thread, but i just saw your comment on the Spyke air filters, i'm in the process of machining a whole new airbox that will take the weight of such an airfilter, the vn's is plastic and there's no chance it will work.What i'm doing though is making the airbox with a pan filter for a Weber or Holly carb and the spike will just be an intake duct, there wont be a K And N filter in it.
When its done i'll start a new thread in the 900 forum

1 - 16 of 16 Posts