Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BEWARE: This "raw" pulley will probably be scratched or damaged because of inadequate packaging. I have received two from oemcycle.com via an Amazon order and both were wrapped in a single layer of course paper then put inside a box that allowed the product move back and forth during shipping, causing the machined surfaces to be scratched. The original packaging from Baron is severely inadequate for such a heavy product.

Thankfully oemcycle.com provided a UPS return label, at their expense, so I could return the first one that was damaged. They agreed they would inspect and repackaged the second one to ensure it would not be damaged by the packing material. Unfortunately, the second pulley arrived in the same packaging as the first and was similarly damaged.

oemcycle.com said "This product was inspected by a representative of the brand and had advised us that this is there standard finish for a raw product."

I disagree. It is clear from the two pulleys I received that the scratches are not part of the "raw" finish, but rather damage incurred post machining. Raw implies as machined, with no secondary finishing. Scratched or damaged is something entirely different.

oemcycle.com offered me a full refund, but no shipping label to return the second damage pulley.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Will you be painting the pulley, or returning? I ordered the SW rear in an unfinished version (basically anodized) with thoughts of painting, but decided it looked pretty good as is. I am surprised that Barons didn't have it packaged in plastic. They seem to ship everything else really well. Hope all works out as you will like the change with the new pulley.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I intended to run it raw, but as you can see from the picture below it is not really in a state where I can do that. I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do with it. Bosco, can you post a picture of your SW pulley?

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Will post a pic as soon as I can (most likely tomorrow night when I return from Arizona). Looking at your pic that appears to from packing and not from fabrication. Painting would look good if you decide to keep it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Pulley's etc.

The scratches seem to be from the handling process and or shipping in a loose container. I had my rear pulley from Scootworks rebuilt. It was their offer. I shipped it to them in June 12 and got it last week. I still would not have it but I fussed a little. I was sorry to need to do that but 8 months, come on. ScootWorks has always been nice to deal with until the past few months. I always liked to chat with them and to ask for info of which Eagle one Dave was excellent. They got a little peeved at me on the last and raised their voices a little, but I did get my pulley and whether it is worth a crap or not I will not do any more business with them..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pics bosco. Wow, you are right that has been anodized or finished in some other manner. The color and texture are different than any anodizing I've seen though.

I've got some ideas on finishing mine that I'm toying with. Thinking of thumb-swirling the outside ring that is scratched, old school style like my dad's drag cars from the 70's :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I've got some ideas on finishing mine that I'm toying with. Thinking of thumb-swirling the outside ring that is scratched, old school style like my dad's drag cars from the 70's :cool:
That would look pretty good. Is this something you can do, or would you have to send it out?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the thumb swirled pulley. I did it myself and cleared it too. If the pulley works out I'll probably have it clear powder coated for a more durable finish

Installed.

Once I get my new tires mounted and balanced I'll give it a test ride.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks great PB

·
Registered
125 Posts
I like that effect? What did you use to make the swirls?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts