Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read some postings on the forum about changing out the front and rear pulleys on the 900. I am considering changing out the front pulley this winter and maybe the back also. I would like to get some feedback from those on the forum that have done one or both.

I have a 2008 900 Classic.

What were the pros and cons as result of the pulley(s)?

Was it worth the cost?

Would you suggest to another person to do it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I changed the front pulley, along with 170/80 rear tire. Made a difference in the RPMs at freeway speed. Nice improvement, easy install, and worth the money for sure!! I have not installed the rear pulley as of yet, and at this point don't think I will. Changing the gear ratio, robs a little power from the low end, but if you want to drag race you will need a different scoot!!

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Tang56. Question, when you loosen the rear wheel to create slack on the drive belt in order to change out the front pulley, is there any thing I need to know about getting the rear wheel back in line? I see the little marks on the frame and the notch on the rear wheel tensioner. I realize that the new pulley is a bit larger (anyone know how many teeth larger) so the wheel will not hit the same marks as with the OEM pulley.

·
Registered
74 Posts
...I went with the Baron's...excellent quality, and silent. You probably will have to remove the "belt keeper" so the new pulley will not rub....no problem results from that....next I plan to go to a little taller rear tire also...I understand some of the scootworks pulleys were trash.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I have all three (front, rear, and tire). Makes for a great ride.

As for pulleys I went with SW for front & rear. I have had no issues at all with either pulley (the front is there newer harden aluminum). But, would have gone with Barons for the front because it's steel, and cheaper, was not available when I did this mod. As for the rear, either is fine as both are made from the same material, so it will be cost & styling between the two for this choice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a couple of questions for the guys who have done both pulleys. How much has changing out the two pulleys affected acceleration, both from a stop and passing. Also have you noticed an increase in top speed?

thanks so much

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I have a couple of questions for the guys who have done both pulleys. How much has changing out the two pulleys affected acceleration, both from a stop and passing. Also have you noticed an increase in top speed?

thanks so much
I ride 2-up a lot with both pulleys (and a larger tire 200/70). Acceleration from a stop is fine. The 900 is not going to win a bunch of races off the line, but getting up to freeway speed quickly is no issue, you just don't shift as quickly. I will be at 65 with in seconds. As far a top end speed yes it's increased (at least on paper). Cruising speeds are greatly improved. Drops the RPM from 4100 (70mph actual) to 3200 (70mph actual) with larger tire.

So far, it's one of the best combinations to improve an already great bike. IMHO

·
Registered
95 Posts
just getting used to the idea that maybe a 170/80 rear tyre is better than a 180/70 and then you throw that in the mix Bosco ... a 200/70 rear tyre!

does it fit without modification?
how does it affect handling?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Front rear pulley question

As usual Bosco has it covered. I would go with both pulley's because of the lack of rear clearance for a larger tire with just the front pulley. Just my opinion. I also went with the Baron's front pulley, imo much better than others. I would not have room on my bike for a larger rear tire with just the front pulley.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed the Baron 34 tooth front pulley on my '09 LT. hardest part was looosening the 27mm nut. I put tranny in 1st gear locked the front & rear brakes & chocked the rear wheel...nut wouldn't budge with 1/2" drive socket and a long bkr bar untill I held pressure on it & whacked the bar with a hand sledge.
I thank the forum for the how to video & info to remove factory slider...otherwise just followed Kawi factory manuel instructions on belt tensioning.

I'm happy with the slight reduction in vibration at 70mph now cruise more comfortably especially two up. I'll go to the larger rear tire also when it's time to replace...

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
just getting used to the idea that maybe a 170/80 rear tyre is better than a 180/70 and then you throw that in the mix Bosco ... a 200/70 rear tyre!

does it fit without modification?
how does it affect handling?
As usual Bosco has it covered. I would go with both pulley's because of the lack of rear clearance for a larger tire with just the front pulley. Just my opinion. I also went with the Baron's front pulley, imo much better than others. I would not have room on my bike for a larger rear tire with just the front pulley.
Not sure I have noticed any really handling difference, other than it's a better tire than stock. As for the fit (with just the front pulley) I have heard both that it will fit with no modification, and others say it rubbed. I did the rear first, then the front (with in a couple of months), the rear tire was last when it finally required a change due to wear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks so much for all the info guys! My only real complaint with the vn900 is the rpm's at highway speeds. I always seem to be looking for a 6th gear so changing out the pulleys seems to be a perfect solution.

so how hard is it to get the rear wheel back in alignment? In an effort to learn as much as I can about the vn900 I have been doing all of my own work and maintenance, the rear wheel alignment is the only part that concerns me. thanks again for the info!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
so how hard is it to get the rear wheel back in alignment? In an effort to learn as much as I can about the vn900 I have been doing all of my own work and maintenance, the rear wheel alignment is the only part that concerns me. thanks again for the info!
Aligning the rear wheel is easy. Assuming the axel is loosened (as you have replaced one of the pulleys) just enough to allow the wheel to slide (but, not necessarily easy).

I had the rear wheel off the ground so I could spin it forward. Then I made small adjustments (1/4 turn at a time), right side then left.

After each adjustment checked the alignment by spinning the wheel forward to see where the belt tracked in the pulley (you want approx. 2-4mm clearance from the outside of the pulley, not the center).

Then checked belt deflection (1.5~4mm with 10 lbs of force in the middle of the belt from the bottom. There is a guide window with markings (5mm apart).

Keep going back and forth with the adjustments until you have the correct alignment and belt deflection. Once done tighten down the axel and don't forget the cotter pin in the castle nut on the axel.

Just takes a bit of patience, but it's not difficult. The first time I did this adjustment took me the longest as I was like you concerned about getting it right. Note: go test ride and check. I had to readjust the first time as I did not give myself enough clearance on the belt to the outside of the pulley and it squealed...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a 2006 model 900, changed the front only because I found the speedometer was 10% fast! After changing the front pulley it was 4% fast. I did not notice any difference with power. The rear pulley is more expensive to change, but if I were planning to keep the bike, yes, I would change it too. I don't think I would change the size of the rear tire. After changing both front and rear pulleys, you will find the speedometer is now slow by about 2%, and the newer models might be worse. You need to know what speed you are running. Wallacem in Ga

·
Registered
95 Posts
anyone got a solution to the speedo reading low after all these mods?

I'm guessing the speedo is driven by the speed of the gearbox driveshaft ie. straight to the front pulley??

suppose you could fit an electronic speedo from the front wheel to a display on the bars. Or 'recalibrate' the speedo with sticky markers!

·
Registered
85 Posts

thanks so much
I have done both (Baron's) and noticed a slight decrease in acceleration from a stop but an increase in the ability to pass while already at highway speeds (from having more of a RPM range left while running 70mph). I don't have a clue what the top speed of my 900 is, nor do I care to find out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
They have several electric devices that, when installed, and re-adjust the speedometer. It is an electronic speedometer, so that is the best way to correct it. those items cost somewhere in the $140 range. the most popular is the Speedohealer. Look it up.Wallacem

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have done both (Baron's) and noticed a slight decrease in acceleration from a stop but an increase in the ability to pass while already at highway speeds (from having more of a RPM range left while running 70mph). I don't have a clue what the top speed of my 900 is, nor do I care to find out.
Thanks for the info!

oh and my vn900 tops out at about 110mph with my fat ass on it! hahahahaha

·
Registered
352 Posts
I swapped out the rear pulley and put on the 230 rear tire. Since I wanted the 230 rear, I could not just run the front pulley alone.

For me, the rear pulley and 230 tire are the perfect match to the VN900 Custom, and I no longer "miss" a 6th gear.

I would say the "jump" off the line is a little slower than stock, but its plenty fast for me. Highway pulls are great, and passing is no issue.

I would not likely go with the front pulley with my set-up.

Remember, if you are going with a larger rear tire (especially a 230), you may have fitment issues if you just change the front pulley. That was the deal breaker for me.

BTW, I'm also running the Baron's lowering kit, which makes a larger rear tire a bit snug as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I swapped out the rear pulley and put on the 230 rear tire. Since I wanted the 230 rear, I could not just run the front pulley alone.

For me, the rear pulley and 230 tire are the perfect match to the VN900 Custom, and I no longer "miss" a 6th gear.

I would say the "jump" off the line is a little slower than stock, but its plenty fast for me. Highway pulls are great, and passing is no issue.

I would not likely go with the front pulley with my set-up.

Remember, if you are going with a larger rear tire (especially a 230), you may have fitment issues if you just change the front pulley. That was the deal breaker for me.

BTW, I'm also running the Baron's lowering kit, which makes a larger rear tire a bit snug as well.
so am I reading your post correctly that you have the larger rear tire and rear pulley, but no front pulley? could you not put the barons front pulley if you have the larger rear tire and rear pulley, could you do all three, front/rear pulley and larger rear tire? thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts