Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rode 350 miles this weekend on my new Baron front pulley. I am very pleased to announce I am so happy with it. It may have slowed a little (not that I can tell) off the line but that does not bother me as I am in no hurry to cruise the curves and hills of the Bluegrass. I love the top end feel and the way it pulls the hills. We have a 1700 mile round trip to the Dragon in May and looking forward to it.
Drag-On!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have been thinking about the front prey as well.I live in s.w.Virginia so I wasn't sure on how it would affect the torque on these curvy roads.Glad to see someone post about it that is close by.how did it help if any on gas mileage?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I have a front & rear over drive pulleys, no issue with torque (or off the line). Ride (cruise) mountains and canyons all the time. This bike pulls great through all the curves. Have fun and enjoy your trip. :cool:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey BigTim900, WV is a awesome state we ride in also. Love the mountains there for sure. As far as gas mileage, I could not honestly say. I installed a Cobra PowerFlo breather recently and it now is sucking some major air, Of couse the FI2000 made up for that extra air by increasing the fuel consumption. The upside is my horsepower increased and the way the pipes now growl. The OEM breather was restricting air for sure. Anyway I noticed at 150 miles my low indicator never came on but when I filled up, it took 3.5 gallons. I think the tank only holds around 3.5 gallons. I am OK with the 150 miles plus with the add on's and the way it sounds and runs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just cracked open my service manual? Here is what it says?
Fuel Tank Capacity 20 L (5.3 US gal)
I always thought it was 3.5.

That is good to know. Duh! No wonder the empty light never came on!
Shoot I had almost two gallons left! lol!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah,was Gna say mine holds 5.3. Light usually comes on around 190. I already have a fi2000r,ness big sucker,and bub jug huggers.Love the power and sound.I have read many threads talking about gas mileage that say 45-50.I check mine almost every ride and I consistently get 55-60.Even fully loaded on a trip to South Florida last year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the SW rear OD pulley. I like it for the open road which is most of my riding. Seems I have to downshift more often but that is okay and it does not make any sense, but mileage has dropped a little bit.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey BigTim900, Using 3.5 gallons at 150 miles, I was getting around 43. So I think I should average around 228 miles on a full tank. I am going to watch my fuel gauge as I am not sure now if it is accurate. I did see a link regarding the gauge but for now I will see how it computes at a half a tank. Should hold around 2.7 gallons if correct at a half tank.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Vulcar & the Dragon

Vulcar I am sure you have been informed that he THWP has Troopers on sport bikes patroling the Dragon. I live close by and see them once in a while. They usually ride red 1200's I don't know if they are all Suzuki's, Ducati's etc. I have seen different ones. There are some nice roads around the area of the Dragon. There is an old dam sluce where some of a James Bond movie was filmed, and maybe another movie I am not sure. It is the one where they came out of this overflow pipe and slide down the huge conc. spillway....Not a movie buff you can tell.......have fun...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Bigtime

I gave up, easily, on the fuel gauge. I can go about 200 miles safely it seems. My light has come on once since 07. I ran it close to my house until it came on. It set on empty for about 60 mi. before coming on and held 1.4 gallons at that time. I set my miles and fill up around 160 - 175 usually holds about 3.7 gals.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Baron's front pulley & fuel

I may get just a little less mpg since adding the front pulley on back roads due to running in a lower gear and shifting more often. I also run a power commander which due to pipes etc. has richened up the fuel a bit, this helps negate some mpg I assume. I have the new type sw rear pulley but may not use it, still contemplating.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Sage1965 for the heads up. Last time we were there they had cars patrolling the Dragon. With all the tight curves, I am never in a hurry like the crotch rockets. The Dragon is fun but the roads to and from the Dragon is what it is all about like you mention. Beautiful area and made for motorcycling for sure! Between VA, WV, NC, TN, and Northen GA mountains us KY riders are in heaven.
Drag-On!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks Sage1965 for the heads up. Last time we were there they had cars patrolling the Dragon. With all the tight curves, I am never in a hurry like the crotch rockets. The Dragon is fun but the roads to and from the Dragon is what it is all about like you mention. Beautiful area and made for motorcycling for sure! Between VA, WV, NC, TN, and Northen GA mountains us KY riders are in heaven.
Drag-On!
Yeah,well, I ride up interstate 35 towards ardmore oklahoma and there is a slight bend one place in the road on the way there so there!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Too funny doubleminded. We have been on similar roads also. Cannot say I enjoy them. We do plan on making it out West sometime. It is on our bucket list for sure!

·
Registered
847 Posts
fuel

I gave up, easily, on the fuel gauge. I can go about 200 miles safely it seems. My light has come on once since 07. I ran it close to my house until it came on. It set on empty for about 60 mi. before coming on and held 1.4 gallons at that time. I set my miles and fill up around 160 - 175 usually holds about 3.7 gals.
I should have said it had about 1.4 gals left in the tank.....

·
Registered
847 Posts
Double Minded

I have been there, just not on a scooter......It sure would be different there than in the mountains here. I guess that's where dirt bike and four wheelers are nice...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts