Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,I was reading a few threads concerning the Baron Front Overdrive pulley and also some threads on new belt drive . Seems if i read it right the newer belts for the 900 classic vulcan are not as wide as the older model's . Mine is a 2007 model. If i order a new belt from the dealer would i receive this slighty less wide belt which i would rather have (more clearence from sides of pulley) or is this just for newer model vulcan's. Also does the Baron Overdrive pulley change your speedometer reading very much and if so higher or lower. Does anyone know any other place than the dealer to get belts for this bike . Thanks .

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Hi ,I was reading a few threads concerning the Baron Front Overdrive pulley and also some threads on new belt drive . Seems if i read it right the newer belts for the 900 classic vulcan are not as wide as the older model's . Mine is a 2007 model. If i order a new belt from the dealer would i receive this slighty less wide belt which i would rather have (more clearence from sides of pulley) or is this just for newer model vulcan's. Also does the Baron Overdrive pulley change your speedometer reading very much and if so higher or lower. Does anyone know any other place than the dealer to get belts for this bike. Thanks.
The speedometer counts the revolutions of the transmission output, or pulley shaft, and converts that to a needle indication on the dial. It makes no difference at all which pulley is installed on that shaft. What does change is your actual speed down the highway. Most 900s have a speedometer that is calibrated to read about 9.5% fast. When the speedometer indicates 70mph, your are actually traveling at around 63.4mph if you have the stock pulley and rear tire on the bike. The overdrive pulleys offer about a 6% increase in actual speed over stock, so when you indicate 70mph with the new pulley installed, your actual speed will now be about 67.2mph. So the overdrive pulley will bring your actual speed much more in line with what the speedometer is indicating.
Is a 4mph net increase at 70mph worth it? That's your call. While the overdrive pulley offers a 6% improvement, keep in mind that a 200/70 rear tire offers a 4.25% improvement, and a 170/80 rear tire offer a 3% improvement over the stock tire. If you need new rubber anyway, making one of these choices could be a good alternative to buying a pulley. There are also devices to just electronically correct your speedometer reading.
As far as the new belt, you would have to make sure the dealer knows what you want when you order one. I see no reason to get a new one unless the old belt is that worn or damaged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron, as far as the belt is concerned the dealer told me i will need one at some point in time , I was hoping someone would know where to buy at a better price but there dose'nt seem to be a lot of options .

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The speedometer counts the revolutions of the transmission output, or pulley shaft, and converts that to a needle indication on the dial. It makes no difference at all which pulley is installed on that shaft. What does change is your actual speed down the highway. Most 900s have a speedometer that is calibrated to read about 9.5% fast. When the speedometer indicates 70mph, your are actually traveling at around 63.4mph if you have the stock pulley and rear tire on the bike. The overdrive pulleys offer about a 6% increase in actual speed over stock, so when you indicate 70mph with the new pulley installed, your actual speed will now be about 67.2mph. So the overdrive pulley will bring your actual speed much more in line with what the speedometer is indicating.
Is a 4mph net increase at 70mph worth it? That's your call. While the overdrive pulley offers a 6% improvement, keep in mind that a 200/70 rear tire offers a 4.25% improvement, and a 170/80 rear tire offer a 3% improvement over the stock tire. If you need new rubber anyway, making one of these choices could be a good alternative to buying a pulley. There are also devices to just electronically correct your speedometer reading.
As far as the new belt, you would have to make sure the dealer knows what you want when you order one. I see no reason to get a new one unless the old belt is that worn or damaged.
I've been echoing that sentiment for some time now....it largely falls on deaf ears. I mean, if you need new rubber anyways....it's almost like a free pulley. Now, a taller tire AND a pulley...well, that's a different beast.
Makes no diff to me anyway.....I've strangely become adjusted to cruising.....I have no need trying to make this bike do 100 mph on the slab....although, I must say....I was late for work the other morn, looked down....and much to my surprise I was doing 150kph....and still had plenty left...the bike STILL surprises me on occasion.

·
Registered
166 Posts
silenthill,
I have adjusted to cruising also since I spend most of my riding in the city or in the suburbs. I don't need to go much over 65 MPH.
I built out my bike to cruise and be seen (bling bling) not to tour.
If I wanted to tour, I would have gotten a Nomad or Vaquero.
But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
pulley/ belt width

I have inquired about a wider belt because the Sw rear pulley is about 3/8" wider than the stock pulley. I was told they don't make one wider, use the oem or one from them all are about $86.00..As far as the speed goes when I changed pulley's it put my speedo more accurate than before. It is just about spot on with the GPS now.....And the fuel gauge is just there. I don't even use it. I ride like I did for years on the Honda's etc. that didn't have one. I have gone 200 miles before and had over half a gallon left. I usually avg. about 53 mpg. on a week long ride. I got over the gauge years ago, I have an 07....We usually ride with six other bikes and the distance from one fuel up to the next is different on all of them be it Honda, kawa, or Harley. Just ride and don't run out it's not worth the bother.

·
Registered
847 Posts
A belt should run 100,000 miles. they are tough as all get out. I have seen them with that many miles on them. Mine has about 20,000 and at the last service tech said no sign of wear......When Harley went to belts they did a promo where they took two strands of the belt and lifted a bike 10 feet into the air , it didn't break.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We do a lot of scenic riding, but we usually take a day and a half to reach our fartherist point and the just cruise back for 3-4 days. I try to find a happy medium so to speak for the first couple of days, thus the pulleys etc. If not for that it is great like it is..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Found out the Baron front pulley won't work with a larger rear tire, unless you want to do some cutting on the inner fender, which I didn't.
Pulley is for sale in the classifieds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Chupa, thanks for the info, but if anyone has any information on where to buy a drive belt cheaper than the dealer it would be good to know . Dealer wants about 250 for a belt and another 250 to install ,they tell me they sell about one a year. They told me mine has a few cuts and the belt gets hard on the side's and that what causes the noise on the pulley.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Roger, just curious. What kind of mileage do have on the 07? Mine is over 27k miles and the belt still looks brand new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts