Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the best place to purchase a Baron front pulley for my 900....I'm taking a trip to Seattle from Utah and back and I think it may help keep the vibration down. It doesn't have to be the absolute best price since I don't mind supporting a good vendor that is fair and honest and has one in stock since I need it soon. I'm also gladly accepting tips for an easy install. I watched the video and it seems pretty easy but it sounds like the alignment marks on the frame are not exact so it may take some further alignment. For those who have installed the front pulley...how many notches back did the re-adjustment take with the new pulley? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
My wife got mine for Christmas for me so will try to find out where she ordered it form. But I can tell you I love it. It's one of the best mod's done to the 9. Makes cursing a lot nicer and made my speedometer right on.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys...went with caloggins suggestion and bought from Dennis Kirk. I have bought other stuff from them before with good service and a decent price. I paid $147.11 shipped, it was in stock, and will be here next Friday. I will get it installed before I head to Seattle if all goes well. Thanks again.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
I have been thinking of changing mine. Too often I'm looking for that 6th gear. What determines the number of teeth? should both be changed out?

·
Registered
34 Posts
For anyone else who may want to purchase products from Barons. DO NOT BUY DIRECTLY FROM BARONS! They do all their retail through Motorcycle Superstore, and if you have an issue with a product, well tuff, we've got your money now! I purchased a Barons front pulley from Phat; easy buy no problems. Phat did not carry the rear pulley so I bought from Barons. Price was $325 or so. It was shipped from Motorcycle Superstore. I checked cost on their website and it was approx. $270. Not happy with that. Then I installed and tested it. No better than the Scootworks pulley... Screamed like a banshee. Tweaked and tweaked to no avail. Tried to call Barons and talk to a tech, nope, you get connected to Motorcycle Superstore. They were of no assistance. I was not interested in trying to track a Barons number down and argue more. All three pulleys are for sale, I bought a different make of bike that has a six speed and can cruise more comfortably.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For anyone else who may want to purchase products from Barons. DO NOT BUY DIRECTLY FROM BARONS! They do all their retail through Motorcycle Superstore, and if you have an issue with a product, well tuff, we've got your money now! I purchased a Barons front pulley from Phat; easy buy no problems. Phat did not carry the rear pulley so I bought from Barons. Price was $325 or so. It was shipped from Motorcycle Superstore. I checked cost on their website and it was approx. $270. Not happy with that. Then I installed and tested it. No better than the Scootworks pulley... Screamed like a banshee. Tweaked and tweaked to no avail. Tried to call Barons and talk to a tech, nope, you get connected to Motorcycle Superstore. They were of no assistance. I was not interested in trying to track a Barons number down and argue more. All three pulleys are for sale, I bought a different make of bike that has a six speed and can cruise more comfortably.
Hmm...I would have expected that kinda trouble out of scootworks. They shipped me a warped rear pulley and it took 2 hrs on the phone 4 pictures and 15 emails just to send it back. I orderes front and rear through barons with no issues. Works like a charm. I did have some squealing at first but I quickly found it was too tight and off balance. All in all after I got it adjusted Im pretty pleased with barons. But each is different I suppose.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Yea, I'm really liking my barons front pulley also. I haven't heard any squealing yet. You guy are getting better prices than I got; $169 at the kawasaki dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I just bought the baron's front. Do they make a rear? I've heard horror stories of the scootworks rear.
I have heard more issues with the SW front, but that was several years ago before they changed the alloy and hardened the pulleys. I have both, and have never had any issues with either (no noise). Just checked the wear when I had a new rear tire installed, and both look perfect. But, the Baron's pricing is better.

BTW, Amazon has both Baron's pulleys. Front is $159, Rear is $283.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have mixed feelings on doing the front and rear. Prob going to do front first. Kinda worried about low end power and power in twisties if I do both.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've put about 150 miles on my bike since I switched the front pulley. It's got a stock-size Metezler 880. I've ridden under various conditions: the Tollway (70-80mph), back road twisties, etc.

I've driven a lot of manual transmission vehicles. Just the front pulley, for me, is what the gear ratio should be. It has dramatically smoothed out the ride.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've put about 150 miles on my bike since I switched the front pulley. It's got a stock-size Metezler 880. I've ridden under various conditions: the Tollway (70-80mph), back road twisties, etc.

I've driven a lot of manual transmission vehicles. Just the front pulley, for me, is what the gear ratio should be. It has dramatically smoothed out the ride.
Good to know. I've got the 170/80 rear so I'm hoping the pulley will suffice. The buzz at 80mph is KILLING my passenger.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I have mixed feelings on doing the front and rear. Prob going to do front first. Kinda worried about low end power and power in twisties if I do both.
I have done both front & rear, plus a 200/70 tire. No issues with low end power, twisties (ride in the mountains all the time) and 2 up. What I like about the gear ratio changes (outside the obvious freeway) is it stretches out all the gears, so I can cruise in traffic or town in 1st/2nd gear. Or, you can roll on the throttle on the highway and not constantly shift up or down. And yes it does smooth out the bike really nicely.

Do the front first see how you like it then you can always add the rear later. In the end it's all about personal preference.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've changed both pulley as well. I used SW. My share of this and that (ordered direct), but in the end (with some tweaks) it does work well...no issues. It is all about preference, but I figured if I was going to do the job I'd rather do it once...get it all done. You're getting 10 - 11% with front and rear...seemed good to me. I find the performance great...no power issues. You've got a great stretch between gears and using 5th right where you need it...on the open road.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts