Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was in the market for the pipes/fuel computer/intake kit. After reading this article http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/custom/kawasaki_vulcan_2000_custom/index.html (probably the sexiest bike on the planet) I decided to go with the Baron Big Air Kit. I especially liked the fact that it didn't cover up any of the features of the beautiful V-Twin Chrome cylinders. Others just seem to dominate the right side. For aesthetics it was pleasing to the eye.

But that's where the romance stopped. I received the unit and took it all out of the box, read the instructions 2 or 3 times and commenced to installing the unit. My first hang up was the air sensor. The instructions said to remove the stock sensor from the old backing plate and slide it into the preassembled "round" tube that was already fastened to the new backing plate. Well, on my 2008 VN2K the sensor is not round, but egg shaped. I spent 40 minutes trying to figure out how this was suppose to work. By 10 pm I gave up and decided to wait til morning and call Baron.

The tech was very matter of fact that the 08 sensor is different than previous models and that I would have to drill my own holes in the plate, one for the sensor and one that would need to be tapped for the retaining screw. And that I would have to remove the preassembled tube and C clip and "just tape it up".

For those of us who are a bit anal where the meticulous is concerned, my impression of Baron Engineering was severely damaged. (ok I found a nice little door planel plug to plug the hole). So thinking that I had everything I needed to finish the job, I commenced the install late in the afternoon the next day. I got just 10 minutes into it and ran into snag two.

The 5 screws that Baron provides to mount the backing plate on the throttle body are about 1/8 inch too long. The holes are all pocket holes and the screws all bottom out before the plate snugs up to the throttle body. Of course I didnt notice this until I had the filter and cover installed and realized the whole unit was loose and rocking back and forth.

So.....tear it all off again, wait til the morning and make another trip to the Depot to find the correct screws. Not too difficult but just aggravating as we live 30 miles from the nearest store. Finally, it all fits together nicely and I must say I do like the way it fits into the lines of the bike.

All that to say that I had expected better foresight and engineering from Baron. IMHO, if you know that a certain year model has a different shaped sensor why not retool the backing plate for that model so that the customer doesn't have to wonder if he's dexlexic or not. And why not put the correct length screws in the kit too, very inexpensive fixes that reduce a lot of customer frustration. So far all the mods and bolt on's I've installed on his bike have gone very well with pretty good forethought and engineering. Sorry Baron but you failed this test.

I'm just saying......

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting read.....
Because I've not owned a bike in 28 years, and they have changed juuuuuuusssst a little, was I expecting too much from the maker of this kit or is this just what you have to get used to, and expect to have to retool and machine model specific parts? I would just hate to ruin a part while modifying it and then have a manufacturer tell me too bad, no warranty and no returns. :( that would not be good.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
And yet another reason why I don't put a BAK on my scoot. I got the Cobra 2 to 1 pipes and a Cobra FI 2000 fuel processor on it and I think I'll leave it like that. How much horsepower does one bike need anyhoo?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And yet another reason why I don't put a BAK on my scoot. I got the Cobra 2 to 1 pipes and a Cobra FI 2000 fuel processor on it and I think I'll leave it like that. How much horsepower does one bike need anyhoo?
Not sure about the horsepower from that particular mod just yet. My reasoning was just to have enough air so the pipes and fuel processor would benefit. Maybe it was too much but by all I had read those three were the ticket.

Anyhoo...the sound of the Cobra Slashdowns alone was worth it. The pitch this engine and those pipes sing at is as sweet to hear as Roger Daltry, or Merle Haggard, or Tammy Wynette, or Michael McDonald or Mannheim Steamroller or..... ;);):D:eek:

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Not sure about the horsepower from that particular mod just yet. My reasoning was just to have enough air so the pipes and fuel processor would benefit. Maybe it was too much but by all I had read those three were the ticket.

Anyhoo...the sound of the Cobra Slashdowns alone was worth it. The pitch this engine and those pipes sing at is as sweet to hear as Roger Daltry, or Merle Haggard, or Tammy Wynette, or Michael McDonald or Mannheim Steamroller or..... ;);):D:eek:
I get it, calm down now, deep breath in, deep breath out, if that don't work kick the crap out of something.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You may like to share your story with John Baron he is a member here on the forum and I am sure he would like to hear your input on their product for your bike so he can maybe make some changes so the next customer with your application will not have the trouble as you did, as for my BAK for my 1500 I had no problems. I did have a little problem mounting their key switch relocation plate, I had to bend the bracket a little bit to fit but well worth the trouble it is the same shape as the BAK and looks great.
again his user name is John Baron. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
The 5 screws that Baron provides to mount the backing plate on the throttle body are about 1/8 inch too long. The holes are all pocket holes and the screws all bottom out before the plate snugs up to the throttle body. Of course I didnt notice this until I had the filter and cover installed and realized the whole unit was loose and rocking back and forth.
I had the same problem but I just cut off the bolts because I had no where within 100 miles to go to get bolts. In the end I went to the Thunder Tornado and thats another story in itself.... Anyway they tell you it is Big Air, but I don't see any Big Air about it. I would call that a pretty small filter compared to what is available out there, and they say it is designed to flow air, I don't think so. There is nothing inside the filter housing that would make the air flow smoothly into the intake. Anyway I was really disappointed so after about 6 months I went to the Tornado. I think it has more air and better flow and on the dyno it has more power than the BAK, but you have to be careful of the Tornado as well..... This is the second Tornado I have had (I had one on my Nomad) and both have surface sealing problems that if you don't fix you will be sucking dirt into the motor.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same problem but I just cut off the bolts because I had no where within 100 miles to go to get bolts. In the end I went to the Thunder Tornado and thats another story in itself.... Anyway they tell you it is Big Air, but I don't see any Big Air about it. I would call that a pretty small filter compared to what is available out there, and they say it is designed to flow air, I don't think so. There is nothing inside the filter housing that would make the air flow smoothly into the intake. Anyway I was really disappointed so after about 6 months I went to the Tornado. I think it has more air and better flow and on the dyno it has more power than the BAK, but you have to be careful of the Tornado as well..... This is the second Tornado I have had (I had one on my Nomad) and both have surface sealing problems that if you don't fix you will be sucking dirt into the motor.
Did the air sensor on the 2007 fit in the provided tube?
I thought the same thing about the filter. There are a few things that protrude through the backing plate like the vent tube and air sensor that I thought might disrupt the airflow a bit. I can certainly hear the airflow more than I could with the stock setup but that doesn't transpose into horsepower. Like I said I bought it to ensure the pipes and fuel processor had all the air they needed to perform at their peak. Time will tell.

I'm just sayin........

·
Registered
110 Posts
Did the air sensor on the 2007 fit in the provided tube?
I thought the same thing about the filter. There are a few things that protrude through the backing plate like the vent tube and air sensor that I thought might disrupt the airflow a bit. I can certainly hear the airflow more than I could with the stock setup but that doesn't transpose into horsepower. Like I said I bought it to ensure the pipes and fuel processor had all the air they needed to perform at their peak. Time will tell.

I'm just sayin........
All the aftermarket intake systems will sound like they are sucking alot of air because they are not enclosed, but it doesn't mean they are getting the air efficiently. The air sensor fit well and other than the bolt problem everything went together well. My friend has a K&N Custom Air Kit on his V2K that is a similar idea to the BAK except that there is alot more air filter there. It's not as narrow. The BAK is so narrow and where the air goes into the throttle body is a sharp edge which I think can cause turbulence and restrict the air flow.

John Baron says in his video on youtube the the BAK has special things inside the air kit that we can't see that enhances airflow to prevent turbulence. Well if you can't see it than it isn't there. The backing plate should at least be machined with a nice flowing curve into the throttle body. The Thunder Tornado I think has more air filter and the inside is designed to flow air smoothly.

I put a Power Commander and the BAK on my V2K last spring and took it in and had it put on the dyno and it finished at 93.89 hp and 110.42 torque. This fall I put the Tornado on and put it back on the dyno. There were minor changes in the map and the bike came out with 98.33 hp and 119.21 torque. I was never happy with my bike since I put the BAK on it seemed like it wasn't performing as well as it did stock and used alot more gas, but the day I put the Tornado on I could tell a big difference even before I took it in and had it re-tuned on the dyno.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is there any problems with rain getting into these filters? The filter element is exposed and I notice that the kits comes with a rain cover.

I can't see myself bothering to cover the filter every time I hit some rain.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Is there any problems with rain getting into these filters? The filter element is exposed and I notice that the kits comes with a rain cover.

I can't see myself bothering to cover the filter every time I hit some rain.
Most people put the rain cover on and leave it on.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'll keep mine bone stock

Hi all and I hope I don't offend anybody but from what I read with the bennies from all these mods..... what it cost as to the problems encountered to me in many posts my bike is going to remain stock. It's got plenty of balls and still get 42mpg riding 2 up and no PROBLEMS........... Flame on :D

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Hi all and I hope I don't offend anybody but from what I read with the bennies from all these mods..... what it cost as to the problems encountered to me in many posts my bike is going to remain stock. It's got plenty of balls and still get 42mpg riding 2 up and no PROBLEMS........... Flame on :D
No flame senor, you have a right to your opinion and it is respected. I chose to do certain mods to my bike strictly for my own ego and not so much for fuel efficiency or power. You're right in that she definitely has lots of power but in my case I wanted more noise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts