Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Barnett clutch spring.. too much.. wow

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  VulcanDrifter 
#1 ·
Long story..short. I replaced the slipped clutch in my bike..went with Barnett clutches.. damn good company has been for many years.. however the only spring they offered was the heavy duty clutch spring..and it's just too damn much..I'm actually getting tendonitis from it.. it flat out doesn't slip..that's for sure.. I have to change it . . Is there something out there that's closer to factory feel but still heavy duty ish?

#2 ·
Reactions: ZweiSugaBear
#4 ·
I plan on doing my clutch aping in the future and talked to the guy that makes the Judge washer. He recommended I don’t get the Barnett HD for the reason you don’t like it. He said to buy the Mean Streak spring instead and then his washers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
#8 · (Edited)
You'll lose the slipper clutch functionality if you install Judge's washers. Kawasaki updated the OEM clutch spring assembly from the original design to eliminate 'premature wear' (for lack of a better description) of the spring. The updated assembly fits older bikes (not sure how old). I upgraded the assembly on my 01 to the newer assembly when the original spring wore out (fortunately before pieces of the spring started to break off).

#13 ·
Hi - I just installed the Barnett clutch kit on my 02 1500 and yea, it requires a lot more strength to pull the clutch lever. I am hoping that over time the Barnett spring will break-in and weaken a bit. Did you change your Barnett spring? If so, how many miles were on it before you changed/replaced it? What did you replace your Barnett spring WITH and how is the replacement (hand pull) compared to the Barnett spring? Thanks for your reply.

#14 ·
If you have a cable style clutch and you haven't lubed the cable recently, lubing it could help. If you have a hydraulic clutch, cleaning slave cylinder and possibly cleaning and lubing the push rod might help.