Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me where the balance point is for the 900 LT, Using a Harbor Freight Jack....I`am not sure where to place the jack under the bike.... It`s the yellow one for 59.99.....Thanks..

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
trial and error, have someone help you the first time, my batwing and goodies change the balance point on my bike, no 2 may be the same. ... and be careful, there are some grease nipple (zirks) under there that break off really easy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the same type of jack. On my 2010 900C, the lower part of the rear suspension is in the way and I can’t balance it exactly. Thus, I have to jack up the front or the rear, but not both at the same time…

·
Registered
851 Posts
With the grease zirks being your lowest point there is no way to balance it on the jack! So what I did was...Jacked up the front first and placed jack stands under my crash bars where they bolt to the frame and than jacked the back up and left it on the jack. The bike was about 6" off the ground and solid!

·
Registered
84 Posts
That jack, on my 9 - the balance point seems to be on the zerks and just in front of the drain plug. Unfortunately this renders it useless for an oil change. I usually set it so the rear bar is on the joint. That clears the plug too just makes it front heavy. Best you can do!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Great thread. I have a VN2000 and had trouble with this issue too. No way to move the jack anywhere to get the whole thing up. I bought a Pepsx stand, and could not jack the bike in one shot to get the stand under it. Now I have a way to do it using the jack stands on the crash bars for the first part. Thanks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you check the VN900 service manual you will see that whenever they recommend getting both wheels in the air, two jacks are used. To keep it up, jackstands would be the best way, can always jack in increments if you need to get it higher for a wheel removal.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The easiest way I found to deal with all the crap hanging below the 900 was to block it up with some hardwood.

Spaced and angled to the frame, grooves cut in to trap the frame. Holds very well.
The ballance point will change, depending on what your working on. Ballance, then remove the front wheel and over she goes. Use the strap points and block under the wheels or frame for tipping support.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have the harbor freight jack and I had to make two bars to fit in between the standard jack arms. Then the rear one goes just in front of the rocker arm. Also, I have to use a 3/8" thick piece of wood on the front arm to clear the little bit of engine block that sticks down. Honestly, the bottom of this bike is a pain in the arse!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I replaced the factory fittings with hex bolts, two where missing anyways. Remove bolts and install a zerk to lube and put the hexs back. The oil change is easy enough on the ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts