Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get some opinions from those that have these driver backrests on the positives and negatives of each one from your personal experience. Thanks in advance. Hard to figger out which is better.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i ave the grass hopper
love it easy install easy removed if not wanted for any ride.
i have modified it so it dosnt go back as far for 2 up riding as it did crush the pilions crutch
i think it was $150 all up

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I tried the grasshopper. I liked it solo and it was springy which was good for riding over bumps. I dug into my long legged wife's thighs so couldn't use it two up.

Got the Kawasaki backrest which is adjustable in the verticle and horizontal.

Haven't tried the ones you are looking at though.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Utopia are the best I ever had. On my 4th one. Tried the Grasshopper first with this Voyager... totally sucked, after 5 minutes it went in the trash. Too flimsy. I have had others but for me the Utopia modified so the bottom edge of the pad is touching the seat (as low as you can get it) is where I like it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at the Utopia site. Having to remove the leather cover and cut seat leather is a little intimidating for me. I was hoping to find a quick release drivers backrest but there doesn't seem to be any made for the nomad like my mustang drivers backrest was. I am 250 lbs. and a lot of the people I have talked to say the grasshopper is pretty springy. I may have to give up my idea of quick release. I don't double that often. Thanks for your reply as well as the others.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I have a corbin seat on one of my Yamaha's and the backrest just pulls out. I don't know if the corbin seat for the 1700 does the same thing. I am not a corbin seat fan either. The wife drives that one.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not a big fan of Corbin either and I don't want to buy a new complete seat setup. If I did I would buy a mustang seat with backrest that fits my Nomad. Just looking for a little more comfort for the back on longer trips.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Actually when I threw the grasshopper backrest in the trash, I kept the the metal parts. The backrest is what went in the trash. I then ordered the Utopia pillow top backrest and attached it to the grasshopper system. Still springy, not as bad with it as low as I have it. I have the gel seats and will not cut them for a backrest post. I tried a couple other stock backrests before I went ahead and got the backrest I had used for 15 years, The ones I had laying around I did not like those either. Yamaha brand.

DSCN1624.jpg

DSCN1625.jpg

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Bubba for the pics and input. So I guess you liked the grasshopper hardware but not the backrest pad. Fair enough

1 - 9 of 9 Posts