Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys do we need to oil out BAK filters?? I know some filters need the K N oil added to them. But I don't see it on the filter anywhere. Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BAK leaking oil

I have read a lot about the BAK starting to leak oil...but I have mostly read it about yamahas..do we have this problem on the 900?

·
Registered
347 Posts
It depends on who made the filter. You need to search on the 'net for the manufacturer of the intake/filter media and go from there.

I'm no expert on these things, but from what I understand the "shorthand" for the Barons Big Air Kit = BAK.

So, if you actually have a Barons Big Air Kit, then the filter media is reusable, at least according to Barons, if you still have the original Barons filter media. That means it can be cleaned and prepared much like a typical K&N type filter.

Loads of other manufacturers make intakes - Cobra, Vance & Hines, Arlen Ness etc. They "might" all be affectionately known as BAK, but they all have their own "names" - Powerflow, hypercharger, etc.

On the other hand, I may be way out to lunch here...E&OE.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hmmm, its me again.

The "BAK" does not "leak oil". Oil does not typically come out of the intakes on an internal combustion engine.

What you might be referring to is the connection from the crankcase to the intake - that hose, lets call it the positive crankcase ventilation system (or perhaps the crankcase breather hose), is under negative pressure from the vacuum in the intake, and is sucking oil-laden air out of the crankcase, and sucking it into the intake system via that hose (the one connected to the back of the intake system).

There is all likelihood that "some" oil "condenses" in that hose, and in the air cleaner and pools at the bottom of the air cleaner - at least on a stock set-up. There is a little "well" at the bottom of the stock air cleaner that is designed to catch this stray oil (perhaps a tablespoon or so) and keep it there until the owner removes the air cleaner and cleans this mess up periodically.

On some aftermarket air cleaners, their philosophy is to either let that crankcase breather hose just hang there in the breeze (hopefully with a tiny filter jammed into the end of the hose) - or to block that breather hose so that no oil (or air) comes out of it.

So, no - a BAK does not leak oil. That breather hose will.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I think all the after market air filters are reusable, and therefore need cleaning and re-oiling, just like k&n. My powerful has a k&n filter. Use very little oil, otherwise it WILL leak out. I learned this the hard way. Oil actually pooled on my engine, thought I had a head leak, until I saw it was 'red' which is the k&n oil.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
What color is the oil? K&N oil is reddish, and my powerful leaked because it was over oiled. If it is black, then it is coming from the breather, as noted aove.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thanks guys, I will go pick up a can of the oil for the air filter. I installed it yesterday, so I guess I need to to do a removal and lube. Thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would not be plugging that breather hose.

See here for a discussion about putting a small filter on it.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32566

Personally, I would always route it back to the intake, but that's just me.

Some guys (or gals) are routing the hose in such a way as to create a little "catch can" type arrangement for the condensed oil that does tend to form from this breather. You can do some reading an that - they use a "T" connector and have the filter sitting "high" and the "catch tube" sitting "low" - they use a clear "low" tube so they can see the oil accumulating and just drain it when required. Another guy just ran the small filter high, and claims the small amount of oil just runs back down into the crankcase when the bike is not running. Could be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts