Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, was wondering if anyone could give me recommendations for saddlebags and sissybar for my naked Vulcan 900 Classic. Was thinking of a Cobra (02-8968) 12" round backrest and perhaps jumbo Saddleman bags. Don't have a ton of money to spend on the bags which I've discovered can get pretty expensive. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went with the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom Paladin Quickset Backrest from GM-Cycles and the Saddlemen jumbo slant bags & easy brackets from west end motorsports

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not familiar with the National bars, but will look into them. Are you happy with the Saddleman bags? Do you use the Easy Brackets?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I bought the Cobra Short square sissybar, and am very pleased with it. I'd argue that the square is a lot more attractive than the round -- from the front and back -- but of course that's just a matter of preference. Cobra seems like a good brand, and I'm pleased with the quality of mine.

Can't help you with saddlebags, as I took mine off my VN900 Custom...to me, the Vulcan looks a lot better when that area is uncovered. I am looking, though, at getting a sissybar bag instead. Probably this one (a Saddleman Large Drifter), as soon as I can confirm w/ the manufacturer that a luggage rack isn't needed (as the picture suggests)...my two emails to them have thus far gone unanswered:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got an MC Enterprise sissy bar and luggage rack. Then I bought a kuryakyn grand tour bag. I can put it on the passenger seat and it doubles as a backrest, or i can flip it around so it sits on the luggage rack. I love the bag. You can find it on amazon or other sites to read reviews.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies. I was leaning towards the Cobra 12" round backrest (was kinda leaving it up to my girlfriend as she thought it looked more comfortable) even though I agree the square backrest looks better front and back. Just found out all the 12's are backordered until August sometime. She wants to ride now, so square it is.
Still exploring the saddlebags......

We live in a big beauiful country built by generations of hard working Americans......Happy Fourth Everyone!

R

·
0 Posts
Scooter, I purchased the jumbo Saddleman bags on ebay, from a seller hooter970, he has great prices on bags, and fast shipping, almost 1/2 of other bags. Like you Im still looking for anice backrest.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have a Cobra sissy bar with bags from Viking. The bags are very firm. They have a fiberglass body with leather covering. They are built to fit the VN900 and come with supports. I think I paid around $300, shipped and delivered in 4days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks
Just went on Viking's website and they look awesome. They are slightly larger than the Saddleman bags. Like the fiberglass and steel reinforcement. There seems to be an issue with bolts, but seems easy recitfied. Can't help but wonder why they don't fix that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
viking bags

I have a Cobra sissy bar with bags from Viking. The bags are very firm. They have a fiberglass body with leather covering. They are built to fit the VN900 and come with supports. I think I paid around $300, shipped and delivered in 4days.

Hey Ken, was wondering how you like your Viking bags. I too ended up with the Cobra backrest, and was looking into the Vikings, but researched it a bit and found they have horrible reviews for customer service and a "F" rating at the BBB. Thanks. Great looking bike by the way.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Scootter,

I love the bags. I like the way they look and function. I have nothing to complain about from the company as the item I ordered arrived within the week. The only thing I had to do was drill the holes and buy 4 longer bolts with flatwashers for the install. I did not find this unusual. Thanks for the compliment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bags

Think I'll decide sometime this weekend between the Viking and Saddlemen bags. I have to agree the Vikings do look the best for the money. From Ken's experience it sounds that whatever issues they were having they took care of.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've got an LT, myself, and my one disappointment is that the bags are pretty small.

Kmeyer, that quick detach sissy bar is some kinda cool. Are there bags that remove just as easily?

·
Registered
451 Posts
The classifieds on this forum have the Paladin quick detach sissy bar for sale, in Boise ID, posted yesterday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts