5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bag A Bear's

Tenminimum

·
Registered
419 Posts
ok, Am needing some feedback.
Having lowered the bags (yes, extended the pipe) sets up a conflict with the belt pulley and brake caliper. I have ideas how to rectify these but will wait for more better ideas to emerge b4 committing my cutsaw.
ok, look it over and give me your thougts b4 I get to deep in this thing. thx, ponch
What I did for my old V2K was to install a "hidden hitch" trailer hitch and toted a trailer behind me. Don't think your going to go that way so in looking at the pictures you posted I think that everything is a little tight. I think I would get me some all-thread and some rubber hose to cover the exposed parts and move those bags out from the bike a bit to prevent the conflict. I'd move the travel trunk up a little and back just a little to give you better access should you need to do any rear end work while on the road. And if you want to get fancy remount the rear turn signals on the back of the bags and get a light bar for the trunk. (You did ask for everyone's $0.02).

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
I like the idea of the bags being lockable and all that but the color sucks. Also I hope that backrest is either removable or will tilt forward. Otherwise you gonna have problems opening he trunk.

It does all look a bit too tight so I agree with previous post. What the heck do I know though, I just bought a trailer.

·
Registered
419 Posts
well I guess I dont react to well to criticism, even if its not meant to be that. I am fussy about my skoots. I just like mine more nekid.. er, streamlined. Traveling nekid is a wee bit risky. needs stuff. where to put stuff so it dont fall off and dont look like the beverly hill billies. tho I did like that show. ellymay was hot.
Like to keep my center of gravity low and forward. yeah, looks count too.

thanks guys for trying to help. some of us are beyond that. we know who we are. out, ponch... biscuit agrees "wooof".
Ponch, I'm not trying to make you angry I know your getting frustrated with them bags and box. Honestly though if you want to keep your bike in a clean look you should consider going with a "Hitch Doc" hidden hitch and a trailer. From these pictures you can see that the only thing you see with the ball mount out is a little chrome at the bottom of the rear fender. It doesn't affect the handling of the V2K at all and If you get somewhere that your going to put up camp you can unhook the trailer and have your scooter back clean and mean. Plus with a trailer you can take everything! and if you get the urge to take a trip later it only takes you a couple of min to hitch up and go. I hauled this trailer down the Blue Ridge a couple of years ago and loved it. Heck if your around Dayton and have a day to hook it up I'll loan you my rig. I can't use the Hidden Hitch on the Voyager so I just bought a different type. (I'm going to use the trailer The last of Aug / first week of Sept... It's going back down the Blue Ridge behind the Voyager).;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Ponch...
I like the look of the bike a lot with the side bags....but the trunk just doesnt do anything for me. Looks kinda topheavy... :(.....and way too much mass on the rear....Annie

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Ponch, pulling a trailer is the same with any vehicle. Leave more space in front, go slower in curves, put on rear brakes before front brakes. make turns wider(slightly), expect idiots to do crazy stuff.

With a bike it's going to change the dynamics of riding but not enough that you can't handle it. Just use your head and make your riding space larger.

·
Registered
419 Posts
btw, what does a rig like that weigh and how much weight is safe to tow? what about the brakes? stopping, fast, hard, is it a new kinda dance to learn?
The trailer I tow weighs 98# empty. It's rated to haul 300#. When I use it I'm hauling about #100 or so. Tongue weight is the key. Has a real fast learning curve biggest thing is not to cut too close around curbs, gas pumps. The trailer is similar to me to having a passenger on the bike as far as handling goes. Pitch it hard into a tight curve and if felt like a passenger not leaning quite enough into a curve. Stoping is like having a heavy passenger on the back. If you are really going all out stopping it doesn't add much distance. Run the trailer light/empty and you'll never know it was back there. It's like learning the twist. A couple of turns & stops and you got it down.:D

·
Registered
419 Posts
So he loaded up his truck and moved to Beverly...

Chubs or is it mr.Checkers?, well here is yet 'nother rendition of Bag A Bear. as you can see I am employing the Jethro method of trukage. it consists of layering items in the order of necessity such that you can get most what you need w/o having to unload the whole truk. that xtra helmet does take up space. I can put some stuff inside it, like frog toggs n such. often I never use it, hmm.

what we got here is some basics, bag, tent, daypack, bear... am leaving off the folding cot..dang. that sure makes sleeping under the stars more better.rats.

as you can see my help is guarding the door... er, floor. "no please, dont get up. its not like we cant just step around you." I guess you get what you pay for... or not? this horse can put away the groceries. out, ponch
Well Jethro had Granny on top of the stuff in their truck and you got a bear on yours...anyways if'n someones gives you a hard time just give'm one of them there Calaforneee howdys. Then like Jed you can compare firearms and part as great friends.:) You got to see it from the guard dogs view. By laying there in the middle there ain't no way you won't know he's guarding what need to be guarded and That justifys the food costs. Plus if he needs to go outside he knows just where you are. Bet he'd take a bullet for you as well. Besides at least he isn't wanting to sit in your lap.:D:D

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Ponch...
this is such a great story... ! I love the idea of a back seat buddy.
My husband and I are all about owls.... must have 50 or a 100 of em.
I had a vision of a big owl standing on my pillion as I ride... looking for prey
as we ride.... hmmmmm.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Annie

·
Registered
11 Posts
So Ponch when exactly are u going to be in MT and where? u going thru the whole state? the weather up here this week is super nice-lows about 50 and highs in mid 80s slight chance of moisture tues and wed here in western Mt. Be sure to travel the Going to the Sun road in Glacier- havent done it myself yet but i hear it is awesome on a bike

·
Registered
42 Posts
mr. 40lbs? what have you got there boy? are you toting a whole bedroom? here are some pix of the rig I use. You can get these at academy or sports stores for $40. It wieghs maybe 5lbs. but is 3ft wide. If I can work it in, I will bring it. sleeping on the ground is for young people. also, I like to be able to sit and lace up my boots. This is probably one of the best things I'v ever camped with, just takes some Injunoo'wity to fit it. I have other peices of camp gear that are sooper simple and work like a champ. packdown lite is key to good road mantenance. too much crap is all work, not a vacation. out, ponch
yep, looks like the same cot i used,mine was the xl it was wider,and supposed to hold 350 lbs,just like yours it apperes to be a pain in the ass to cary,mine did;nt hold me i was sitting on it and started to bend,by the 5th nite it was almost,completly collapst,the last day ofmy trip i was in Lynchberg,Va,itook it back to dick;s sporting goods on got my money back(waiting for more wieght comments).....so i got to use it for free ,i to like to have aplace to sit and get dressed or eat,so for the next trip a bought an Eagles Nest Outfitters, One Link System.please chek this out on the net..its a hamock,bug net,and a rain fly all in one set, that elliminates a tent and cot or air mattress, it weighs 4.4lbs.and you have a place to sit in camp. but theres only one problem,i ride in the east were theres no shortage of trees,you beein out west and in the desert,it may not suit. Well what is his middle name?:confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've never seen hard bags that look like those on any website or in any catalog. What brand are they, and where did you get them?

LEW in Durango

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Lew... Ponch's bags are Tsukayu Jumbo Strongs.... my bags are Tsuakyu strongs (not jumbo = slightly smaller ). They take a while to get delivered but worth it. here is a link to some pics..

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9231

Annie

I've never seen hard bags that look like those on any website or in any catalog. What brand are they, and where did you get them?

LEW in Durango

·
Registered
419 Posts
Looks great Ponch. I guess that deserves an adult beverage or two. Good thing the guard dog was protecting them beverages while you worked huh.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts