Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just did the final stage and removed the baffles from my Custom. I wish that I would have done this long ago. It took less than an hour. I thought it was going to take quite a bit longer. Only two Bells Pale Ale's and I was finished. I really like the deep sound. Louder, yes.....too loud, no. I went in stages, started last month with stage one. Turned out great and was quite easy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Agreed

Word.

It's pretty much like an exhaust system for next to nada! I love it!

·
Registered
941 Posts
After doing the Kawi ticket to ride event where they had their complete line up of bikes and kinda wish I had the sound of the stock pipes. I bought my bike used, PO put HK on their and they can be too loud at times. But at the event I wanted to ride the 9 in new unaltered form, just to see what kind of bugs I may have developed. Which aren't many. Just some weird noises when I hit bumps. Anyhow I thought the exhaust sounded pretty good on the 9, not as nice as the Voyager. But it sounded like a motorcycle. Too bad those stock pipes are ugly. If it wasn't for the fact that I love the looks of the HK's I think I would find a set of factories to change to.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, the 900 has a really nice tone to begin with, which is probably why so many people try removing/modifying the baffles before replacing the exhaust. It just isn't loud enough for most. I've gone to Step (don't want to say Stage) 2 baffle mod. I'll probably get new pipes eventually but I really don't want the rattling/hammering high end frequencies you got with a lot of aftermarket pipes. The stockers are louder and deeper with modified or no baffles but still quite mellow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How to

I would like to remove baffles in my V900. Talked about stages, what is the first step to removal and how many baffle systems are there in the pipes. Can this be done without removing the exhaust sytem? I am new at this but i figured i can do it if i have a starting place. At the rear of the pipes there are 2 brads on each pipe is that what holds the baffles in, do you just drill them out and they slid out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
941 Posts
Man after reading that write and seeing the pics of the bike with the baffles completely gone, I kinda like the looks of those pipes now. I would have to see it in person, but without the pipe cap it looks alot better. I realize I don't like the way the cap makes the pipes look. It makes them look cheap, like somebody slid a cover over a 1 inch pipe. (which is basically what Kawi did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
De-baffle completed

Followed instructions for the complete de-baffle, everything was great except for the removal of the rings. I buggered it up so i smooth the edges out as best i could and will try later. i looks ragged from behind so i won't wait long. The sound is just what i was hoping for.
I guess i overlooked a step i removed the baffel after i drilled holes around it and sawed with a hand hacksaw blade to complete the cuts. I work the baffle pipe as suggested until they broke free, i guess i lost a couple of pounds due to sweating until they came free, did you have problems pulling the outer rings off, i still can't get them to budge.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a 2.5" OD hole saw with a 1" ID hole saw attached that fit in the baffle hole. This gave me a very concentric and clean cut. I then bent the remaining metal attached to the tube inward giving me enough room to "persuade" the inner weld to break loose that holds the baffle attached. The remaining ring looks fine the way it is, so I decided to leave it attached. Repainted and it looks like it is supposed to be there IMHO.

·
Registered
163 Posts
congrats

Agreed, take your time, duct tape in dual layers for the Sawz all, use true cutting oil and it's an easy slam dunk.

While I moved on with budget allowing me for aftermarket pipes the full de-baf's were Sooooooo much better

1 - 11 of 11 Posts