Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed quiet baffles into my new vance and hines exhaust. The quiet baffles are v&h. I wound wire around them and still the install was very tight! I got them in but impossible to move to line up set screw holes. Will they fall out without them? Doesn't seem like they could, lol. Just want peace of mind if anyone could answer. Thanks

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Yes, there's a good chance that they'll fall out.

Start the bike and let it get good and warm - heat causes expansion. That might make it easier to pull them and get them realigned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I put about 50 miles on it yesterday and they did not move. I didn't try to move them though. I will next time.

·
Registered
529 Posts
They will wait until your on a group ride then you will shoot one out at your buddy. Spray some WD-40 up in there and start working them back and forth best you can. Sometimes peace of mind takes some extra effort but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Well, I put about 50 miles on it yesterday and they did not move.
Well, maybe they're in there forever. The screws weren't for any purpose. Perhaps you should trust that they won't move. Good luck with that. :D

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
Don't worry, if they do fall out you will immediately notice the change in tone. Just carry the bolt in a saddlebag or some place so it will be readily available.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Installed the same baffles. I taped them and used some lube and they still were ridiculously tight and hard to install. After many swear words I finally got them to line up with the holes. Had to hammer them in, twist them with lineman pliers, and then used an awl to get the final alignment.

Somebody mentioned it, but I bet after you ride a bit and some of that insulation burns off and the pipes expand they should twist right up. Hindsight that's what I should've done, but I installed the baffles before I installed the pipes on the bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just think of it this way, would you want the rider in front of you riding with baffles that might fall out. Think of some other rider running over the baffle and going down because of that. In short figure out how to secure them

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay. I will get them secured. Thanks all, for your suggestions. And HRH_Z, I'm just as sarcastic! LOL

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
To remove my baffles I found a smaller pry bar in my tool chest with a 90° end on it. Small enough to fit inside the diameter of the baffle. Then I can simply tap and pull on the nut that is welded on the inside of the baffle until it comes out. Then when reinserting it just get it as close as possible to being lined up, keeping an eye on it with every tap. Then when it's close use a small pointed screwdriver or something of the sort with a point on it to go through the hole in the pipe case and into the baffle hole and pull it into position. Me personally I wouldn't do the self tapping screw thingy. I have a hate relationship with those things. Drill and tap proper if going that route in my opinion. This really is a simple task if you just have some patience. Good idea to get it up to temp as well before trying this, heat is your friend in these situations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, got screws in them now. I'm not mechanically inclined and the whole project of putting my new Vance and hines on took only an hour by myself. The quiet baffles I put in took like two hours total! Lol. Bike sounds soooo good now. So glad I did it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts