Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove the baffles on my Cobra longs and can't get them to budge. I bought the pipes used so don't know how they were put in. I got an extra set of baffles when I purchased them and want to compare them. Also thinking of putting on the Smartpartz to quiet them. Any special tools to suggest? Maybe I am just missing something simple such as another screw somewhere connecting the baffle to the pipe? Any help appreciated. Need to quiet these babies down a little!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I don't know if you've done this already, but there should be one bolt near the end of each pipe, on the bike side. Undo it and I just stick a flat screwdriver inside, find a lip somewhere and slide the baffles out. Yours should be the same or very similar to what I have.

The Cobra quiet core baffles are on the left, standard baffles on the right.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I am trying to remove the baffles on my Cobra longs and can't get them to budge. I bought the pipes used so don't know how they were put in. I got an extra set of baffles when I purchased them and want to compare them. Also thinking of putting on the Smartpartz to quiet them. Any special tools to suggest? Maybe I am just missing something simple such as another screw somewhere connecting the baffle to the pipe? Any help appreciated. Need to quiet these babies down a little!
There will be one or two screws holding the baffles in place usually at 6 o'clock & 9 o'clock. Most likely it's carbon built up in the pipe and baffle that's keeping it tight. Take the pipes off and with the screws removed gently tap the end of the pipe on a piece of wood until the baffle frees up. While the baffle is out drill a 1/4" hole somewhere near the end so that you can use a piece of smooth rod with a hook on the end to pull it out next time. I've had Cobras on two different bikes, drags, sweeps & classics and they are all noisy. I tried everything and the best I could do is get some of the raspiness out of it but the DB's never changed much.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Appreciate the pics very much. It looks like I have the quiet baffles in the pipes now. I had removed the screws in the end of the pipe but thought there might be another one I didn't know about. Looks like I am going to have to remove the pipes to get the baffles out but was hoping for an easier way. Need to order new gaskets before I take them off as I have used them twice now. I am going to try the Smartpartz and see if it will help some with the noise. Heard good and bad about them so we will see.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
maybe use a coat hanger and bend the end of it, reach into the baffle to hook the end of the coat hanger onto the baffle. I have the Cobra Quiet Baffles in my Cobra Dragsters, the quiet baffles lowered the decibels about 4 to 5 decibels, the dragsters are still load but better than before, the quiet baffles will create a bit more back pressure to the engine

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ended up having to drill the bolts out of mine when I changed to Quiet Core baffles. Then I had to re-tap to the next size up. Use some nickel anti-seize when you put'em back together. I did and they haven't vibrated loose or anything yet.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks guys. Appreciate the pics very much. It looks like I have the quiet baffles in the pipes now. I had removed the screws in the end of the pipe but thought there might be another one I didn't know about. Looks like I am going to have to remove the pipes to get the baffles out but was hoping for an easier way. Need to order new gaskets before I take them off as I have used them twice now. I am going to try the Smartpartz and see if it will help some with the noise. Heard good and bad about them so we will see.
Degreaser's got the right idea and since you have the quiet baffles you have some big holes that you can slip a hook into. The coat hanger is probably a bit soft for the application so I would stop by a welding shop and buy some brazing rod that you can bend a hook on the end and a loop on the other. I would try that first before removing the pipes.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
I just don't get you guys and your quiet pipes . . . :D
I had a dilemna, because when I bought my bike with quiet stock pipes I wanted a bit more punch to the sound of the exhaust, so I bought V&H Longshots, but those went in the other direction, too noisy, so then I took those off and put the stock pipes back on, again, back to my desire of wanting more sound, so the V&H Longshots went back on again, I could never find that sweet spot, it was either too quiet or too loud.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also had to soak my baffles in AeroKroil repeatedly over a couple of days to get them to come out when I changed them. Tennessee humidity rusted the heck out of them I guess. Don't give up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I stopped by a neighborhood body shop and they pulled out the baffles with a tool they use to pull out dents. Got the Smartzparts in and couldn't really tell any difference in noise reduction. Waste of time and money. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Did you take them for a ride or just run them at idle? I know with the Cobra baffles I can't tell much of a difference, if any at all, until I start cranking on the throttle some. At idle and low RPMs they sound about the same. Is it the same way with the SmartPartz?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Degreaser, don't know if you're aware but V&H sell a "quiet baffle" for their pipes that should give you a happy medium. Most dealers won't have them or even know about them. I had to order mine directly from V&H. They were about $70 and gave me the sound I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Can i replace the baffles in my stock exhaust. Need to be just a little louder, to help with not getting cut off.
Not likely as everything is welded in place. What you can do is modify the existing baffles to bring the DB level up a notch or two. Take a look at the pinned topic
"Vulcan 900 exhaust clips".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts