Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 Classic, and I finally decided I'd take the first step toward "baffle reduction" and knock out the first screens on my bike. I went to drill out the first screen, and when I looked down the pipe, I saw a solid plug, not a screen. Not to be deterred (hell, I already had several tools out), I drilled out the screen/plugs with a 7/8" hole saw. Nice difference. Now I'll ride it around for a while (dirty job, but someone's gotta do it), and see if I wanna go to the next step of removing the cover and drilling holes in the baffle itself.

Anyway, I was wondering what's up with the solid plug instead of the screen? Any one know?

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
it diverts the air into the larger section of pipe helping control the sound that smaller tube you took it out of has sections of holes in it

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So when it was a screen it did the same thing, but to a lesser degree? If so, I take it that the '09s are quieter when stock than previous years?

So far I like the sound (with just the plug removed). It's fairly quiet at idle and cruising speeds, but if I stand on it a little, it gets kinda loud.

·
Registered
156 Posts
there is only 1 screen, at the end of the baffle tube. beyond that theres the catalitic converter. like this:
(now, dont laugh at my diagram, i whipped this up in mere minutes, lol)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On mine, the solid plug (not a screen) was located about in the middle of the tube, about where your Baffle Tube arrow points. I'm assuming this is so that all the exhaust is forced into the outer part of the baffle before it can re-enter the tube through the holes in the wall of said tube on the other side. Is this new? It doesn't seem to be a big deal, just a more complete "baffling" of the exhaust. Well, until I hacked out the plug anyway.

Rode all yesterday afternoon and last night, and I'm still happy with the sound.

I'd encourage all potential debafflers to go in steps. A guy who says cutting out the plug/screen makes little difference may have a different idea of what "loud enough" is than you.

By the way, your diagram looks right on the money.

·
Registered
156 Posts
that plug your talking about must be an addition on the 09's. ive never heard of it being in there. maybe you got an experimental exhaust! lol it does make sense though, from a "backpressure" point of view. like you said, to force it to go thru the holes in the tube. and here we just elimintate it all completely!! lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I did mine yeterday. Now that makes me second guess the system of debaffling. I have an '09 too. Does anyone know if the debaffling instuctions change for an 09'.

·
Registered
122 Posts
there is only 1 screen, at the end of the baffle tube. beyond that theres the catalitic converter. like this:
(now, dont laugh at my diagram, i whipped this up in mere minutes, lol)
lol finally someone put a diagram up so all can see :).... my 09 had that plug too not the screen

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine too. I first knocked the plug loose. Then removed the baffle tube. Thewre is still a screen in there, but I like the sound that I have now. I could still remove the screen, but I don't want to do it now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine too. I first knocked the plug loose. Then removed the baffle tube. Thewre is still a screen in there, but I like the sound that I have now. I could still remove the screen, but I don't want to do it now.
are you refering to the second baffle plate cause i knocked mine out with a hammer and pry bar there are 4 light spot welds ... or the cat whick you need to drill out it cant be pryed out trust me i know i've been pounding on mine for weeks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ok. Half way down inside the tube is a plug that I knocked out with a piece of rebar. After I took the plug out, I did the remove the baffle tube mod. So now, the is no baffle tube and as I look into the muffle, I can see the screen down on the other side of the inside baffle cap.

I hope that helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Bill for the info. I have an 07 Classic and I am going to drill the screen out first and see if it increases the noise at all (anyone done it who can tell me). I don't have the plug you mentioned.
Ken

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 08 and it had a screen half way down the baffle tube. I took a 7/8 hole saw a drilled it out . The screen stayed in the pipe until i started the bike then it got blowen out. I like the sound sofar and will leave it for now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Floridaboy, Maybe its a year model thing or an Australian / US difference but I don't seem to have any screen halfway down the baffle tube. Right at the end of the baffle is a blockage which I am going to drill out (when I get a long enough drill).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks Bill for the info. I have an 07 Classic and I am going to drill the screen out first and see if it increases the noise at all (anyone done it who can tell me). I don't have the plug you mentioned.
Ken
I drilled 4 holes 1/2 inch around the baffle plate in each exhaust. To give you idea of the sound I made this video earlier showing another way to mount the go pro video cam then did a ride and you can hear the pipes clear. Will give you and idea of the sound. Don't forget also that the Camera was mounted on the outside of the windshield so that would reduce the sound a little I think. Also upgraded the camera to an HD model with better sound recording. Once it warms up just a little and the ice is off the roads I'll take it out and do a test of it. http://www.vimeo.com/6561345

·
Registered
38 Posts
I drilled 8, looks like 3/8", holes around the rear baffle plate and used a hole saw to remove the screen that was halfway down the baffle ('08 model). I like the sound, like the other fella said, relatively quiet at idle or while cruising and then a nice growl when you get on the throttle. I'm kinda curious to yank the whole baffle out but one guy said the difference between that and what I've done now isn't much. I'm curious if others can offer any insight on that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK.. This is my third post on this subject but need to find out CUZ it's driving me crazy.. I have done all the drilling and punched out the plug that everyone is talking about. I went in stages and now that all that is done I am hearing a high pitched squeeling sound like when your fan belt on your car is loose. It happens when i get on the throttle and when I let it go. Any thoughts??????

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is it possible that during your wrenchings that you knocked the rear wheel out of alignment? My understanding is that the squeal comes from the belt rubbing on the rear hub. Easy to do if you've had the rear wheel off for any reason. I.e., I doubt this has anything to do with removing the baffles. HTH.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts