Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I recently acquired a 1999 Vulcan Nomad and I love it, but I can barely hear it, and I have questions...

I've watched some videos of people removing the stock baffles with a hole saw. Have any of you done this? Were you satisfied with the results? Were any other adjustments necessary? My air cleaner is stock.

I'm wondering what mufflers, if any, are popular for this bike. I want something that makes some noise.

Thanks in advance. Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I did the baffle removal soon after I got my 01 Nomad. It was easy and I'm pleased with the result. I didn't do anything to the goat bladder. I changed the intake system and installed a Dobek fuel controller, not to make it a hot rod but just to improve the mix so it didn't run so lean.

It idles quietly, has a decent noise level on acceleration with a deeper tone, and definitely "mumbles and grumbles" when decelerating. Having said all that, if you're looking "to make some noise", this will probablly be a little too quiet for you.

Vance & Hines, Cobra and others make exhausts & you can find them on ebay. Pricey.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Hi everybody! I recently acquired a 1999 Vulcan Nomad and I love it, but I can barely hear it, and I have questions...

I've watched some videos of people removing the stock baffles with a hole saw. Have any of you done this? Were you satisfied with the results? Were any other adjustments necessary? My air cleaner is stock.

I'm wondering what mufflers, if any, are popular for this bike. I want something that makes some noise.

Thanks in advance. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Well, sound is entirely subjective, and it depends on what you're after. I wanted that nice rumble at cruising and a nice bark when you jump on the throttle. So I did the baffle removal on my 1500 Classic. The sound was disppointing to me, a little more rumble but the goat bladder is still there and it merely amplified the "exhaust in a coffe can" sound. I ended up doing pipes, air an fuel so I could just be done with it. Now I have the sound and performance I want. I also had a set of stock pipes I butchered and couldn't sell and ended up giving them away to a guy restoring a basket case.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey Joshua, I thought I'd share my recent experience with debaffling. I bought my '01 Classic in February and it had the stock exhaust... pfft pfft pfft pfft. So I debaffled using a hole saw and had a heck of a time getting the baffles out once they were cut, but ended up getting 'em out. Yes it sounded better, deeper, but not much louder. I like loud pipes, so I smashed through the screens further inside the pipes which made it a little louder... but no where near loud enough! Sitting at a light, surrounded by 4 or 5 lanes of traffic, I couldn't even tell the bike was running were it not for the vibration. And with audible feedback or a tach, taking off from said light was not very easy.

I didn't want to spend $600 on a new set of Vance & Hines so I found a decent set of V&H Classic II's on ebay for $240. Instantly loved them! Not too loud unless you want them to be but also loud enough at idle that you can still here it amongst all the dump trucks and diesel pickups.

However, it wasn't long before I felt as though they were too high pitched and am still on a quest to get the sound I'm looking for out of them. It seems like the deeper the sound, the louder they need to be. (I've built my own baffles.) Quiet the pipes down some and up goes the pitch going down the road... but the idle still sounds pretty good :)

I posted a few videos in another thread of different setups with these pipes if you want to hear them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts