Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Vulcan 900 Custom sounded a bit like my scooter with the stock pipes, so I sold them and just installed a set of Cobra Swept pipes. Well, be careful what you ask for: they're a bit more sound than I care for, though I can probably get used to it. Do I have any baffle options to quiet the pipes down a bit more?

·
Registered
953 Posts
My Vulcan 900 Custom sounded a bit like my scooter with the stock pipes, so I sold them and just installed a set of Cobra Swept pipes. Well, be careful what you ask for: they're a bit more sound than I care for, though I can probably get used to it. Do I have any baffle options to quiet the pipes down a bit more?
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/442-891?utm_source=googleproducts&utm_medium=cse

im pretty sure cobra makes different baffles as well. I have a set of brand new stock exhaust, if you find the swepts are just to loud im sure we could work something out. :D

·
Registered
851 Posts
Do they even make baffles for the swept exhaust? I'v seen on youtube where some people have made homemade baffles for their swept exhaust, but never a video on how they made em.

·
Registered
193 Posts
G'day Diehard,

My 900 Custom came fitted with Cobra speedster swepts and I had the same problem as you now have. The pipes sound great but under certain riding situations caused a pounding in my ears that brough on a headache after about an hours ride. I checked out and ended up puchasing/fitting a pair of smatpartz quiet baffles - in short absolutely brilliant, took the sharp edge of the note, but they still sound great and much better on the ears.

Smartpartz make a specific 'quiet; baffle for the swepts - they are curved to match the pipe's profile. They have to be aligned specifically with the original baffle's screwhole (the smartpartz baffles attached the end of the swept baffles) so the supplied instructions aren't 100% correct, but once fitted (which is retalively easy to do, after realising this) they do the job well, as Otter states in his post.

I had to remove my pipes totally and refit them as the swept baffles are a very snug fit (broom handle and hammer job to remove), especially with a bit of carbon build up. Whoever did the original install did a real bodge job as well. Once back on, I realigned the heat shields correctly and the whole box and dice works well. I also noticed much less 'crinking' sound as the pipes cool, so I would say there is more backpressure, hence a richer mixture.

Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the cobra speedster slashed and I installed the smart
partz on them. It does help but I kept my stock pipes and on long rides
I am going back to them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This week I installed Smartpartz baffles onto the existing baffles of my Cobra Swept and am now very happy with the sound. Highly recommended. Installation was a bit problematic... the screw hole tab on the Cobra baffle had to be removed (chiseled out) to let me install the Smartpartz baffle. The pipes look sharp!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Neuroslicer or anyone else who has done the smartpartz baffel on swept pipes.

It took me all afternoon to get the baffels out I have attached the smart partz going to install tomorrow but worried about re-install any tips? Getting out was hard going back in scares me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey Neuroslicer or anyone else who has done the smartpartz baffel on swept pipes.

It took me all afternoon to get the baffels out I have attached the smart partz going to install tomorrow but worried about re-install any tips? Getting out was hard going back in scares me.
WD-40 is your friend. Long needle-nose pliers are useful to reach in and make minor adjustments to get the screw set. It the pipes are already on the bike, a small mirror makes things much easier, too.

Scott Fraser

·
Registered
198 Posts
http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZCBSSW.html

used these on my Vance and Hines slash cuts. They claim to quiet things down by about 12db, increase back pressure a wee bit, took away the hollow tinny sound and added a nice "chop" when I roll onto the throttle.
I put them in a set of Cobra Slashdowns yesterday. Immediate and very definite improvement. I was going to sell the pipes and put the stock ones back on, but now I won't. I'm very pleased with the baffles. (I would never buy the pipes again.)

Cheers
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Scott,

I used them in my streetrod slashdowns also loved them...That is why I am suing them in my swept..The baffel is a bit harder to move around wondering if anyone else had success getting them in.

Safe riding!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks Scott,

I used them in my streetrod slashdowns also loved them...That is why I am suing them in my swept..The baffel is a bit harder to move around wondering if anyone else had success getting them in.

Safe riding!
Truly! WD-40. I put them in yesterday. I forgot the WD-40 on the first one, and fought with it. It wasn't the tight one, either. I had to fight it to remove it again, then shot it with the stuff and wiped it down. I fired some up the pipe too, and they both went back in painlessly.

Have fun. Do remember the mirror. It's impossible to see. LOL!

Scott Fraser

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for extraction, rather than buy some kind of slide hammer, i got a 18 inch dowel (piece of broom handle would do) and on one end put a bolt, on the other i screwed on a block of wood. put the head of the bolt into a hole on the baffle, and just pounded the block of wood repeatedly to force the baffle out.

after removing the baffles that come with the pipes, i would recommend taking the pipes off so you can better see exactly when the hole on the new baffle lines up with the hole on the pipes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm surprised you guys are happy with the smat partz baffles. I installed them in my swept's, and the sound was horrible. They produced sort of a puffing air sound, and didn't quiet it down a bit. Maybe mine were defective. It did appear that one of the flat plates was welded in crooked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
there are Thunder Monster Baffels for these pipes. They are fantastic for perfromance but even the quiet ones are very loud. Very easy install though

·
Registered
33 Posts
Funny, Im trying to do the opposite...take the baffles out of the Cobra sweep exhaust so its louder. I don't think mine are very noticeable above a certain RPM.
I have the pipes off the bike, removed the heat shield, removed the 2 allen head screws but can not get that baffle to budge.
How did you guys do it???

·
Registered
225 Posts
When I installed smart parts baffles, I couldnt get the darn baffles out. Just far enough to install the smarty's into the end of the cobra baffles.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Depending on how long they have been on your bike, they can be difficult to remove. For mine I ended up taking the full system off the bike, separating the header pipes from the end section with the baffles and then clamping them in a vice and 'tapping' them out from the header end with a 1" dowel or broom handle. WD40 helps a lot but they will come out. Being curved to match the pipe profile they are a tighter fit than for straights.

I reinstalled the baffles (WD40 again helps) along with the smartpartz quiet baffles, bolted the header pipes back onto the jugs and then eased the baffles assembly onto the headers. Slow and steady with a couple of cold beers (it was the middle of summer!!) is the way to go for this.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts