Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last 2 weeks during deceleration I have noticed a rattle coming from the back of the bike. At first I thought it was something loose but have decided sounds like a baffle or some type of hard packing in the left rear exhaust pipe. I have done the loud thing ( Headers 389 Pontiac, Borla exhaust on LS1, Open exhaust on hot rod V6 outboards) and am over it. Is there anything short of replacing the slip on to fix it?

Just the facts: 2009 Nomad 18k miles on the clock bought Last fall w/15.9k no engine air or exhaust mods I can see.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Did you check to make sure all you mounting bolts for exhaust are tight? Maybe a broken bracket? Saw a thread 2-3 days ago about somewhat quite slipons but cant remember the title for it. If it is muffler baffle coming loose, short of factory replacement, aftermarket slip ons are the only option I can think of.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
94 Posts
There is/was an add in the parts for sale section, I think dated about mid March, for a set of stock mufflers from a 2011 or 2012 Vaquero. The seller only was looking for $100 but he is in NJ. You may want to check him out if you are needing replacements, it's a bargain basement price and they looked like new.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Woops , hit something and it was out of here. As I was writing my rattle back there was the license plate bracket vibrating against the fender. Bent it out a little and it was gone.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions guy's but I have pretty much eliminated any thing loose and have already over spent the budget for doodads in the last 30 days with Kawi light bar Ray's throttle mod with Avon grips and Commander II's arriving Friday.

Kovo I hadn't thought to see if any one had a pair of take offs laying around.

(off subject)P.S. Ray's throttle mod made a big difference and the Avon's are the best feeling grip I have ever had on anything.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the Vaquero pipes good price but My 09 came with the slash cuts that look good on it to me.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: The rattle persisted and I had even gone so far as pm a member of the forum that had a set of stock pipes available and then I found the source.

If you have an 09 or newer Nomad, the back of the sissy bar has two plates. The one next to the pad is solid the one you can see from the back has some slots cut in it. There is about a 1/8th inch space between them. On my Nomad the rear plate for some reason had bowed in enough that they were vibrating against each other.

All it took to fix it was wedging a peace of flat rubber washer between the two plates.

So simple but so aggravating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts