Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading some of the post on here, I notice a few posting faults
and being told it might be Bad Gas ,.

Its not something we get here in uk ,only time we might have some if we leave bike standing over winter it might gum up injectors
,but even that is rare
,our gas is more expensive than yours

·
Registered
494 Posts
So more expensive equals superior?

Not if this article in The Telegraph is to be believed. My understanding of the price difference has always been related to taxes...I've never heard anything about quality differences.

I'm sure every country has variations in their standards but in the grand scheme I think you can probably find high quality and low quality fuel in just about every country so it all comes down to what you're putting in your tank. If you put in the cheap stuff (even if the "cheap" stuff where you live is expensive by the standards in another country) it's low quality fuel and you're more likely to have issues. At the same time, use the high end stuff and you're less likely to have problems, regardless of what country you're buying in.

I think this article more or less agrees.

Then again I've never really looked into it so perhaps my first few Google search results are in error though I think the odds are in my favor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chris
Most of us here in uk use regular unleaded we get no advantage using super unleaded
its very very rare to here of bad petrol over here.

I didnt mean to say our gas is better because of price ,we are jealous of you low prices ,

I read that article about fuel ,most of it is Diesel ,which isn't much good in my bikes lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
No one producer’s bad gas

Gas is contaminated be it ground water, heavy rains, flooding waterconaimated gas is -bad gas.

One gas station operator use to put water in his gas tanks to sell more gas, plus he had a repair business which profited from
The same greed. This was back in the 1970’s

It is about the $$$

Old gas can also be a problem - over6 months sitting in whatever container.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I can't argue with that, diesel doesn't do much for bikes...lol

I've had a number of conversations on the subject with friends and colleagues in the UK over the years and you are certainly not alone in your feelings about our prices. A few of the conversations got somewhat heated as at least one woman in particular was particularly angered by it. To my surprise she didn't want the UK to lower prices but for the US to increase. It was years ago so I don't recall her logic but I do remember she got pretty mad about.

As for "bad gas" being used as an explanation for issues with a bike, unless it has been sitting around for an extended period I'm not sure I buy that one. It does get thrown around a bit but in my experience I've never had an issue with fresh gas being bad...not in my bike and not in my car. I can't recall ever having an issue that went away after I filled the tank with "good" gas.

Well, except for the time I ran out of gas. That was fixed by putting more in. It was far superior to the no gas I had in there.

Now to hunker down for the inevitable beating I will take from all the people with "bad gas" experiences. Here comes the storm!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I can't argue with that, diesel doesn't do much for bikes...lol

I've had a number of conversations on the subject with friends and colleagues in the UK over the years and you are certainly not alone in your feelings about our prices. A few of the conversations got somewhat heated as at least one woman in particular was particularly angered by it. To my surprise she didn't want the UK to lower prices but for the US to increase. It was years ago so I don't recall her logic but I do remember she got pretty mad about.

As for "bad gas" being used as an explanation for issues with a bike, unless it has been sitting around for an extended period I'm not sure I buy that one. It does get thrown around a bit but in my experience I've never had an issue with fresh gas being bad...not in my bike and not in my car. I can't recall ever having an issue that went away after I filled the tank with "good" gas.

Well, except for the time I ran out of gas. That was fixed by putting more in. It was far superior to the no gas I had in there.

Now to hunker down for the inevitable beating I will take from all the people with "bad gas" experiences. Here comes the storm!!
Her logic was, she was jealous. Some people. They’d rather see you suffer like them, than be better off. You know the old saying, “Misery loves company!”
As for bad gas, I’ve never had an issue with that in like.......ever! Just sayin’!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I used to occasionally have to stick truck fuel tanks for moisture. Had a paste that was yellow and you smeared it onto your stick. The least (minuscule) amount of moisture of any kind would turn the paste luminescent red!
You would get one sometimes - in the winter, always added Heet to our 'gassers", when the temps went below freezing. Newer stuff isn't so sensitive as those old beaters.
As for motorcycles, I had a couple of Suzuki LS650 Savages (Boulevard S40). They wouldn't run worth a crap, if you left stale gas in them! No wonder- single cylinder thumpers. I use Sta-Bil in my bikes over winter. I run premium in fuel injected or re-jetted carbureted bikes.
All that said, I hardly ever have a problem during riding season, maybe just lucky!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
One area where the Gas in the UK may be superior to our gas is Ethanol. In the US E10 is standard in all but a handful of gas stations. In the UK only the Regular gas contains up to 5% (E05) of Ethanol while their Premium gas doesn't carry such requirement. So while all of our gasoline automatically contains 10% Ethanol in the UK it doesn't. Gasoline containing Ethanol can clog injectors if it is left sitting for an extended period of time. That's why it is important to mix the gasoline in your tank with Stabil or some other Gasoline stabilizer and run it through the system before storing the bike for winter.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
One area where the Gas in the UK may be superior to our gas is Ethanol. In the US E10 is standard in all but a handful of gas stations. In the UK only the Regular gas contains up to 5% (E05) of Ethanol while their Premium gas doesn't carry such requirement. So while all of our gasoline automatically contains 10% Ethanol in the UK it doesn't. Gasoline containing Ethanol can clog injectors if it is left sitting for an extended period of time. That's why it is important to mix the gasoline in your tank with Stabil or some other Gasoline stabilizer and run it through the system before storing the bike for winter.
What's winter??? It was 90f today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts