Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if a stator is the equivalent of the alternator for a bike, but if my car were having the same problems as my bike I would assume the alternator. If I jump the bike off it fires right up not a problem to be had. It will run for 5 mins or so depending on how often I have to use signals and they it will shudder a few times and die. When I try to press the start button again there is no juice left in the battery. Jump it off, and fires right up. My headlight has also been doing a weird thing for the last few weeks where it will not turn on when the bike is running, but when I cut the bike off using the kill switch it will turn on, and then shut right off when I start the bike. So my assumptions are that the battery will run the bike for a few minutes from being jump before losing power to the plugs, but I dont know what part of the bike recharges the battery? Any ideas what this is? Electrical is by far my worst area in working on cars/bikes. So I apologize for the stupid questions I will have to ask!

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Not stupid questions at all.

The stator is actually part of the bike alternator. The stator is the part that goes bad and has to be replaced, so we generally just refer to the power unit as the stator, not the alternator. It does sound like the stator and/or the regulator/rectifier are bad. And when they go bad, the battery can be damaged, too.

If you are going to try to diagnose and fix this yourself, you need a service manual for your bike and a volt meter (multi-meter). For the diagnosis part, the manual will have some test to run. There is also an excellent troubleshooting guide at Electrosport (Fault Finding Guide - Motorcycle Electrical Fault Finding Chart - ElectroSport). Click where it says to download the guide as a pdf.

Also, be sure to check out the battery. Get it fully charged, if it will charge, then take it to a store that sells batteries and ask them to do a deep discharge test.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts