Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sustaining a sore tailbone for a month I have decided to pop for the Mustang seat for my 900LT. I am debating weather to go the extra $200.00 for a backrest. Is it worth it? What are the pro's and con's? Thanks for you're help.

·
Registered
239 Posts
LGunn, check out Craig Vetter's website (http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Other_Designs/Magic-seatboard.html). You know, the guy who came up with Vetter fairings. He did some experimenting with what he called the "Magic Seat Board". I have been wanting to make one and try it on my cruiser. Could be a low-cost solution. What's cool about Craig is that if you have questions or comments, he'll reply to you personally.

Also, there's a guy o eBay who sells backrests for Vulcans at very reasonable prices. I purchased one back in May or June, and it is worked out very well. His username is Motowindscreen7. I didn't see any VN900 ones right now, but he puts up different ones at different times.

Good luck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
YES it is well worth it.

I bought the Mustang seat with the backrest. Took it off at first thinking it might not be necessary. Man what a difference without it. Sore back withing 30 minutes. Put it back on and now I cruise in style and pain-free.

Definitely get it. :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I put a Utopia driver backrest on my '07 classic stock seat. Took about an hour to install. Maybe the best $200 I've spent on "stuff". Google Utopia backrest and they'll show up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I just ordered a studded seat with backrest from Dennis Kirk for $516.99. It will be here next wednesday (had 4 in stock0. My ass can't wait!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey LGunn: Was the seat you ordered from Dennis Kirk a mustang. Sounds like a good price for studded seat plus back rest for $516.00?

Roger

·
Registered
130 Posts
After working a few extra hours to help cover my unexpected trip last month, I had enough left over to justify a Mustang with back rest.

I bought mine from Dennis Kirk on Tuesday and it will arrive on Monday. They only had 5 in stock at the time. $516 and you can do the Bill Me Later to pay for it over six months before any interest is charged.

I was really hoping for it to arrive at the UPS center so I could ask to pick it up today and not wait until Monday for delivery, but it just didn't make it to the center/hub yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes its Mustang Model #79416. The place I bought my 900 has an identical bike a year or two older with a big hole in the seat. I may try to barter with them for the stock seat. Any ideas what I might get for it (since they have a bike that could use it)? They are holding a yet to be installed Nautilus horn ,and have some riding pants on order for me. Maybe that would make a good swap for both of us. A dog bit a 4 inch chunk out of that other bikes seat. It looks good except for that eyesore.

·
Registered
87 Posts
YES it is well worth it.

I bought the Mustang seat with the backrest. Took it off at first thinking it might not be necessary. Man what a difference without it. Sore back withing 30 minutes. Put it back on and now I cruise in style and pain-free.

Definitely get it. :)
Whoa.. wait a minute. Here i am thinking that i will buy a mustang seat alone and from threads started by others who have done that, they say its amazing.

You say that you get sore back within 30 minutes? So buying the seat alone isnt good enough?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Whoa.. wait a minute. Here i am thinking that i will buy a mustang seat alone and from threads started by others who have done that, they say its amazing.

You say that you get sore back within 30 minutes? So buying the seat alone isnt good enough?
The seat alone is great. But I have back issues anyway. So riding without the backrest just doesn't work for me. After about 30 minutes in the Mustang seat with no backrest and my lower back starts hurting. With the backrest I can ride for hours with no back pain at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did have a back surgery for disc a while ago. So maybe i should do the same.... My bank account never co-operates with my needs.. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
krravi,

You can always give plasma for a few weeks to earn money for the seat and do the "BillMeLater" option so you don't get hit with one big payment.

*If you are healthy* You can donate plasma about 2 x week and get $30-$45/week (depending on location and company). $30 x 4weeks x 5 months = $600 = Mustang Seat w/ back rest and some additional motorcycle accessory money :D

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm in my mid-50's (with no specific back problems to mention), and I sure do love the backrest on mine. Doesn't mean I always have to lean against it, sometimes it feels good to sit more upright and not lean against it, but there are also plenty of times when that bit of lower back support really does feels nice. To me, it was totally worth the extra $200 or whatever it was.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts