Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Voyager. I am looking into a driver's backrest for it. Any suggestions? I will seldom have a passenger.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Utopia makes a drivers back rest you can put on your stock seat. There's not a whole lot of choices out there for putting one on your own seat its usually their selling drivers back rests built in to their own setas

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I haven't tried the Utopia backrest, yet, but I think 'll be soon. I bought the Grasshopper backrest and it's just ok. The bracket is too weak and bends easily which causes the backrest to lose it's position as well as stress the seams on the seat. I'm about 270lbs so maybe it's better for smaller guys.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I haven't tried the Utopia backrest, yet, but I think 'll be soon. I bought the Grasshopper backrest and it's just ok. The bracket is too weak and bends easily which causes the backrest to lose it's position as well as stress the seams on the seat. I'm about 270lbs so maybe it's better for smaller guys.
Yes, that's the reason I went with Utopia, because of the weakness of that one. I read about it in this forum.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
How do you like yours? I might be doing the same thing in the future.
I like mine very much. It folds down and is well made. I'm almost 300 lbs and never had a problem.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Corwin38

I am not nearly as "big" as David or Allen. I have the Grasshopper on my '09 1700 Classic and haven't had any issues with it bending. It will move a bit backwards when pushed on while riding, but normal support is fine and it springs back to the original position when you stop pushing it. It is also easily removed (maybe too easily??) by just pulling it out of the attachment slot. I have an IKEA sheepskin on the seat with a slit I cut in for the Grasshopper. Helps keep the sheepskin I place. The Grasshopper was about $100 if I remember correctly. Installation is very easy and the Quality seems fine as well. I don't know how that compares to the Ultimate or others. If you are less than 200 pounds I would think it would be fine. IMHO of course.

WEG

·
Registered
547 Posts
Had a Grasshopper and it was just not up to the task. I'm "only" 220 and had similar issues with flexing and the pad on it was not the best. You get what you pay for in this case.
I went with all Ultimate seats and backrests. Better than the corbin or mustang on previous scoots.

Utopia I've heard nothing but good things about and my son has one on his nomad that he uses all the time.
Not sure if Utopia is removable or not though.. It's always on his bike...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm 5'7" 275 & have a Grasshopper on my Nomad. Its not strong enough to really lean back. But it does help with posture & its better than not having a backrest. I like it because it mounts to the driver seat, so I can switch my ride to solo when I need to. I made a luggage rack that replaces the rear seat & backrest.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I weigh in at only 130lbs. For me, the Grasshopper backrest is about perfect, and the fact that the backrest is easy to remove is an added bonus for me. The only thing I sometimes wish for is a little more padding that extends down to give even more lumbar support.

In my opinion, it is worth the $100 if you are a lighter rider.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Looks like Grasshopper doesnt make a backrest for the 900 Vulcan - yet
I'd be willing to bet that there are backrests made for the 900, though. I wish you the best of luck finding what you need. Comfort is very important in my opinion.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Grasshopper for me too. Not great but good for posture and light leaning (I'm about 5'7" and 175 lbs). Best use for me is it gives my wife something else to hold on to. She misses her 1600 Nomad grab rails.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had a utopia that I installed on my stock nomad seat. I have since sold it due to my purchase of a Hartco seat and driver backrest that I bought with the seat.
I also had installed a Utopia on my gl 1800 wing when I owned that.
They are excellent backrests and very durable. Just be it known that you'll have to strip the cover off of your back seat to install the lower mount on your seat base. I had taken my back seat to a local upholstery guy and for ten dollars he stretched and stapled the cover back on.
Now the portion that will receive the backrest is going to buldge upwards under your seat cover. This is where you will slice the fabric so the mount will now pop thru. Here you can install the upper padded section with one bolt. It's just as easy to remove it too, but the mount hole will still be visible.

·
Registered
388 Posts
^^ That is one of the biggest reasons I love the Grasshopper backrest. So very easy to install the whole thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It had better be good for $341.99.
Got mine on Amazon for way less ($260.00). I have had it for 14,000 miles and it does a good job. Installation is 100% easier than installing a Utopia. Read the reviews on Amazon (there are only 7 of them)......mine is the one with the voyager pic.

https://www.amazon.com/Bakup-Adjustable-Standard-Backrests-2009-2010/dp/B0041CG26Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1474078569&sr=8-3&keywords=bakup+driver+backrest

Also I added a Utopia to a 2016 Vulcan 900 and it feels fantastic but be ready to spit nails during the installation.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts