Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used 2016 Kawasaki 650 Vulcan s.
I bought the bike thru 3rd party.
The mileage on the odometer was showing 13,000 +.
After having the bike for approx 6 months I met the original owner. We got to talking about the places he went and how many times he goes there. I asked him how far was those places.
After telling me, I got suspicious . So I started adding up the miles.Conclusion, I came up with around 18,000 miles.
So I contacted the guy and asked him if he remembers the mileage when he gave the bike to the guy to sell it.
He told me at least 36k.

Question: Is it possible to change the digital odometer to a lower mileage?
If yes can it be brought up in the computer?

·
Registered
2020 Vulcan Voyager
395 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I don't know the specifics on this bike, but often changing the speedometer or the ECU will change the odometer. You can usually have them corrected, but it cost to have it done and no one bothers.

Reactions: Ricksza

·
Super Moderator
5,880 Posts
Hi Nayborhood. Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Glad you decided to join us. Sorry to hear about your mileage discrepancy. Is there any way to get previous mileage by getting older title, inspection station records, or previous owners repair facility records. Don’t know the law in the Philippines, but must be some recourse to make the seller responsible. Thanks again for becoming a member. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
1,987 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania, sorry to hear about your troubles. As said earlier the odometer is typically stored in either the gauge cluster or ECU so a swap of either one could have changed it back to a low number. The good news is being such a reliable bike it should at least be relatively trouble free. Either way hope you can get the previous owner to make things right

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
On the vehicles I work with the electronic odometer/hourmeter reading cannot be lowered or raised, not even by me with access to true engineering-level service tool, not just the dealer-level stuff. If the engine ECU is replaced then it starts fresh.

Granted that's not a Kawi motorbike, but not being able to easily alter the mileage/hours seems like it would be par for the course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.