Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bike has started backfiring through the engine. Is this cause for alarm or just normal for the 900? just does it in the 1st 5 min after i start it and then not all the time. what causes this?

·
Registered
139 Posts
my bike has started backfiring through the engine. Is this cause for alarm or just normal for the 900? just does it in the 1st 5 min after i start it and then not all the time. what causes this?
Hi erniescott20, what exactly do you mean through the engine? Do you mean through the air cleaner or is it coming from the exhaust? What octane do you use? How old is your bike? Anyway, first thing I would do is run Seafoam through to clean out any build up on your valves and clean up your fuel system. Seafoam works wonders, you may have to run it through a couple of times. There are some other things to check but that would be my first try unless you have other symptoms to share ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
through the air cleaner. it is a 2008 model and just turned over 4000 miles. i was tryin 86 octane should i go to mid grade it has only done it a couple times(the backfiring) i will try that seafoam.

·
Registered
139 Posts
through the air cleaner. it is a 2008 model and just turned over 4000 miles. i was tryin 86 octane should i go to mid grade it has only done it a couple times(the backfiring) i will try that seafoam.
Actually you can run whatever grade you want, just as long as you run seafoam through it periodically. That's been my experience anyway. Usually the backfiring problem is from guys running only premium and no seafoam. Is it backfiring when decelerating or accelerating?

·
Registered
92 Posts
OK, I'll show my ignorance, what the heck is Seafoam and where do you get it? I've only run high octane in my 900 and have not been too concerned about an occasional back pop, but my bike only has 2500 miles on it. ;{

·
Registered
295 Posts
OK, I'll show my ignorance, what the heck is Seafoam and where do you get it? I've only run high octane in my 900 and have not been too concerned about an occasional back pop, but my bike only has 2500 miles on it. ;{
Google it. It's a carb cleaner, fuel stabilizer, prevents constipation, cures headaches, and makes your hair grow back if you're losin' it. Personally, I've never seen it in an auto parts store and I wouldn't buy it, I'd rather use Gumout or STP fuel injector cleaner. Just don't use a lot in a motorcycle tank. Most bottles of FI cleaners are meant to go into 20-25 gallons of gas.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Google it. It's a carb cleaner, fuel stabilizer, prevents constipation, cures headaches, and makes your hair grow back if you're losin' it. Personally, I've never seen it in an auto parts store and I wouldn't buy it, I'd rather use Gumout or STP fuel injector cleaner. Just don't use a lot in a motorcycle tank. Most bottles of FI cleaners are meant to go into 20-25 gallons of gas.
Thanks for not laughing out loud, Mini NSX, glad to know its not something that will keep me from riding in a straight line! Your extended clarification was very helpful; Bananas stocked, check. Aspirin, check. Hair loss not a problem, God's compensation for making me vertically challenged!
I've always been partial to Chemtool B-12 for my 4-wheeled vehicles, I'll just stick to what I know. Ya'll ride safe, now!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Actually they sell a lot of it in the autoparts stores here but you can get it at Walmart too. I never heard of it til a year and a half ago but I am a real believer in it. It's worked wonders for me personally and friends locally. I use it on anything I have that runs on gas...my car, truck, motorcycle, lawn mower, generator. Keeps 'em all in tip top shape. :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
I run medium grade most of the time and occasionally I run the premium grade. I've got about 7K and haven't used any injector cleaners and haven't had any problems. The reason I run the premium once in a while is because your not just paying for more octane, you actually get more cleaning additives with it. In fact even mid grade has better cleaning additives than the low grade. If you wonder how I know this, I work for BP.
If your bike sits for a winter without Stable in your gas tank and your bike runs really bad or is hard starting I would recommend trying some injector cleaner than. I have never used Seafoam so I can't comment, I have used Gumout and STP in my cars before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts