Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Fulcan. 180 miles now. Are these bikes known for so much backfiring or am I not slowing down shifting right?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, have any mods been done to the bike? They do quite a bit of backfiring, but you typically don't hear it unless there have been some mods. If no mods, you might want to check and make sure there's no leaking around the exhaust.

I have stage two debaffle done to my 900 - definitely notice the popping a lot more now. You can search 'marbling' in the forum; that will help some. I've also learned that the way I let off the throttle plays a big part of it. If I just let it go suddenly, I have tones of popping. If I let off gradually, the popping is almost nil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No mods. I bought it new. I haven't done any mods. I have noticed it's usually like u said when I just let off throttle all the way. Checked for leaks no leaks. The reason every little thing bothers me is cause the dealer I bought from was very sketchy. When I went to pick it up they had installed the foot pegs upside down! Bunch of kids workin there I think. But I already had the money and got a great deal. Thanks for the info. Do u suggest taking it to another dealer and having them do a full inspection? And do u know how much that would cost. It's still under warranty. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I really didn't notice it on mine until I started making changes, but I'm definitely not an expert. In answer to your question about getting it checked out, I'd say you can't put a value on piece of mind. If you're worried about it, get it checked out. As far as cost, I figure that would vary based on the dealer, but if you want a full inspection I'd say around a hundred bucks in my area.

·
Registered
56 Posts
try raising your idle speed a little. It might be set too low. These bikes will pop on deceleration because they run a little lean due to EPA rules. They also have pollution crap on them that cause some of the popping. Some owners marble one of the hoses off the air filter I believe to help remedy the popping.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks y'all. I will try idling up a little. And go from there. As far as the valve ticking I'm pretty sure it's normal after reading about them being called kawa knockys

·
Registered
71 Posts
Backfiring on a brand new STOCK 900? These things are quiet as a church mouse from the factory. Sounds like something is buggered up to me. Probably loose pipes at the jugs. My stealer-ship never tightened the front axle nut on mine. Lucky it didn't freaking fall off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
BamaBiker. My dealership didn't tighten the front axle nut on my bike either. Finally found out where the squeal was coming from. It stopped when the front axle nut was torqued to spec. This is why I don't take my bike to the dealership for work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts