Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dads got a 2001 vulcan nomad 1500 fi that is backfiring when riding and his rear cylinder is studdering sometimes

the only thing he has done to the bike is different pipes, not sure who by, they were his friends and he threw them on

iv read that it could be a leak somewhere, either intake or exhaust, we have noted a gap in the last exhaust joint

just hopeing its not timing, the fuel injection system or the valves and so on

just looking for some knowledge or if any one else had this issue

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Could be a buildup on the throttle body at the butterfly, not allowing t to close all the way on decel, making it run leaner and resutling in popping. Take some solvent and a q-tip and clean the throttle body opening and see if it changes anything.

Forgive me if you already know all this; I have no idea what guys here know and don't know. Just changing pipes is usually fine, but somethimes opening up the pipes but not the air means you lose exhaust velocity, which means it doesn't scavenge the unburnt fuel nor does it pull it out the exhause as fast. Instead it ends up in the exhaust header, which is hot and can cause the fuel to detonate in the header, causing the loud pop.

Think of it as a garden hose. When you turn the hose on, water pours out but there isn't a lot of force to it. But when you squeeze the opening down, the water velocity increases as does its energy output. You can compensate for this by opening up the amount of air the bike draws but then you must also adjust the fuel mix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts