Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Nomad 1700.

Installed V&H slip-on pipes and a used Cobra FI2000 Powerpro I bought from a member here. Immediately after installation of the new pipes, had lots of backfiring during down-throttle. Installed PowerPro, it reduced, but didn't eliminate it.

PowerPro has a note in the installation instructions (which are excellent, BTW, so credit Cobra for that) that backfires during throttle-down are usually caused by air leaks due to improper exhaust system installation.

I could take it to the shop, but I'd rather figure it out on my own. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I'm trying to learn. Where should I start looking? I thought I got all the clamps on and properly tightened, but there were no torque specs with the V&H instructions, so I was hesitant to just keep cranking them down.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
2014 Nomad 1700.

Installed V&H slip-on pipes and a used Cobra FI2000 Powerpro I bought from a member here. Immediately after installation of the new pipes, had lots of backfiring during down-throttle. Installed PowerPro, it reduced, but didn't eliminate it.

PowerPro has a note in the installation instructions (which are excellent, BTW, so credit Cobra for that) that backfires during throttle-down are usually caused by air leaks due to improper exhaust system installation.

I could take it to the shop, but I'd rather figure it out on my own. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I'm trying to learn. Where should I start looking? I thought I got all the clamps on and properly tightened, but there were no torque specs with the V&H instructions, so I was hesitant to just keep cranking them down.
Michael, Is it running any better. I would think You notice the difference in roll on Oomph! I bet You also had the popping through the exhaust before the V&H slip-ons, but, just could not hear it as well. On another note, My voyager never backfired loud with D&D pipes or with the current FPE true duals on it now. That power pro was on there right after I put on the D&Ds.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
We have all been threw this as mine did it to, but after plugging the AIS system that helped & then getting a better map for my PCV (Power Commander 5) it has been almost gone. I'm not familiar with your Powerpro can you install different maps or program it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
My first question would be did you plug the tube leading to the pair valves, in the right side throttle body cover at about the 11 o'clock position...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I plugged the tube, installed the throttle body gasket, switched to 87 octane fuel, and installed a K&N filter. Combined efforts significantly reduced, but have not eliminated backfiring. Running FP true duals with a Cobra PowerPro. As a note, installing the K&N increased the air in and really made a significant improvement as the engine isn't fighting for air like it was. I have been very pleased.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
if you twist the cable going into your power pro, the lid will come off, you may have a blue adjustment in there, for fuel adjustment, lean or rich

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input so far, guys. I have a new throttle body gasket and BAK on the way.

So it sounds like nobody thinks the problem is really improperly installed slip-ons?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a lot of decel popping on my Hayabusa with a full racing pipe. I blocked the pair valve but that didn't help much. What I did was to tinker with the AFR in my power commander. First I dropped the fuel down to -15 on anything below 1000 rpm at 0% throttle. Then I tried adding fuel. I found on that bike (and every application is going to be different) that +8 on anything below 2000 rpm in the 0% throttle worked perfect. It was making the air fuel mix that was left over to unstable to burn, thus eliminating the decel pop. Only time I would still get it was when I would wind it out to 11 or 12k rpm and then let off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts