Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a set of Road House slip ons about 2 weeks ago. Very pleased with the sound but, when I let off the throttle there is a tremendous amount of backfiring. I am aware it is caused by the fresh air being injected to the cylinders on deceleration as I had the same problem with my 1500 when I installed new pipes on it. It was the carbed model and I purchased a set of block off plates for the reed valves and it completely eliminated the backfire.

The 2008 V2000, does not have these reed valves on the side of the cylinders. To date I have not obtained a service manual diagraming where the fresh air goes in, but a visual inspection appears that there are air hoses attached to the top cover of the cylinders. These hoses are teed off of a vacuum controlled valve.

Question: Does anyone know for sure if these are the fresh air injection ports, and can they be blocked off to prevent the backfire?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes you are correct. All I did is remove the hose on the top left, back of the air cleaner and plugged it as well as where it came off the air cleaner. My Baron BAK aftermarket intake come with rubber caps that you can put on the nipples on the valve covers as well, but what I described above works just as good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think a marble will go into that hose nicely. Gotta do it to mine too.
Also did you put some kind of fuel processor on there? If not you may be running the engine very lean.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think a marble will go into that hose nicely. Gotta do it to mine too.
Also did you put some kind of fuel processor on there? If not you may be running the engine very lean.
I put a Power Commander in my bike, but if you are just doing exhaust you don't need to add anything, but these bikes are tuned so lean I think it is worth adding a power commander just to richen up the mid range a little. Mine runs so much nicer since I did this, but the mileage takes a little hit.

Anyway the popping through the exhaust will be gone once you block that air injection system and make sure all you connections and exhaust gaskets are sealed.

·
Registered
987 Posts
back fire

I put V&H pipes and the BAK on my 04 V2K. I never had any backfire problems other than the initial air leaks because the pipes needed to be re-adjusted and re-torqued. I had the BAK kit put on at Sturgis, and put a fuel commander on as well. Because the 04's ran so rich out of the factory, the fuel commander presented huge problems, stalling the bike at idle, loss of horsepower at WOT etc. I spoke to Scott Salvi from Intimidator Cycles and he told be to dump the fuel commander and try it. Still runs great after two years.:cool: I blocked the fresh air injector at the valve with a couple of those little plastic caps you get on hydraulic fittings. They are still stuck on after all this time.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A follow up to the backfiring problem: I installed a block off in the fresh air hose from the air intake and the problem is almost completely gone.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Is it possible to plug the hose without disassembling anything (besides pulling the hose off the connection) or do you have to remove the air cleaner and other stuff?

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing has to be removed. Facing the air filter cover on the top left side is where the fresh air hose is connected. You can take a small screwdriver to pry it off and install a marble or other suitable plug and reinstall on the housing connector.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Would anybody be kind enough to post a pic of exactly what your blocking off and is this for fuel injected bikes as well as carbs. Mine is a 08, 2000 classic LT. I ran into big problems doing the AI removal on my 09 Fuel injected Triumph America, the bike ran like crap and could not be remapped so ive been reluctant to try it on this bike but if its as simple as putting a marble in the tube and reinserting the connection then I might try it. I just want to make sure I block off the right thing so a pic would be great.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have the same bike. Mine is also an 08,2k. Lt. There is only one hose on the top left of the air filter box. There is not a clamp on it, simply slides onto about a 1/2" nipple. This is for a FI bike. I have not reprogramed anything.

·
Registered
305 Posts
We have the same bike. Mine is also an 08,2k. Lt. There is only one hose on the top left of the air filter box. There is not a clamp on it, simply slides onto about a 1/2" nipple. This is for a FI bike. I have not reprogramed anything.
Thanks, Im not near the bike so cant look right now but sounds simple enough. Only one hose, plug it and put back on and thats it. No remap. Here is the real dumb question, is there a particular size of marble or type of marble to stick in there. Where the heck do I find a Marble???

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Didn't have a marble or other suitable plug on hand so I took a small piece of plastic (like from a plastic garbage bag) doubled it up, then put it over the nipple and pushed the hose back on. Definitely made it pop less, but not a total cure. Got rid of some of the "burble" that I did like though. Not sure if I'll keep it this way or not.

·
Registered
305 Posts
O.K. so I went to about four stores to find marbles and looked like a complete fool, being a grown man and all. I finally found a old school toy store which had marbles and thank god they only came in one standard size unless you get specialty ones. So I bought the marbles and the guy behind the counter probably thought I lost my marbles after I told him what I was using it for, but anyway It works real well. Popping on decel is 99.5% gone and throttle is smooth. very little backfire once in blue moon but now it is like a totally diffrent bike with AI cut off. Eventually I will install power commander and dyno tune but for now my fi2000r fuel processor is doing the job. Very happy I read this post because this was bothering me for a while with all the popping and such a cheap easy fix to solve it. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issues with the popping on decell. 08 2000 LT, V/H pipes with hi-flow air filter and PC. My question is this, since you all are talking about plugging the A/I hose, I'm just assuming that there are no detrimental effects taking place to the engine. Air injection through the top of the cyclinders is not needed? Thx for any response as I am ready to do this.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
it's time for you to be loosing your marbles?

O.K. so I went to about four stores to find marbles and looked like a complete fool, being a grown man and all. It works real well. Popping on decel is 99.5% gone and throttle is smooth. very little backfire once in blue moon but now it is like a totally diffrent bike with AI cut off. Very happy I read this post because this was bothering me for a while with all the popping and such a cheap easy fix to solve it. Thanks guys.
bigmac, I am glad to read that you are getting the results desired by cutting off the Air Injection that is the cause of popping in the pipe. Now that you have achieved first rung on this ladder, you may consider taking it up a notch. The AI system is an EPA mandate crapola to help burn unspent fuel in the pipe. what the hades do you care about EPA or any of them tree huggers? its not like they'r ponying up for your toys. tell em to to hit the road.

Ok, so the thing to do is to take off your stock airbox (no fret, you will be putting it back on). Start removing all those hoses that are attached to the AI system, including that air/selenoid valve. Plug up all the holes that the hoses attached to. Do not fear, they are all low pressure vacuum lines and will not blow out. Put a 22 ohm resistor across the plug that feeds the now removed AI selenoid air valve. Put your airbox back on.

Oh yeah, there is a friggen cranckase vent hose that goes from the back of your tranny and blows oil vapor into your precious FI system. Get rid of it.. er, reroute that hose out and down behind the motor and vent those vapors toward the pavement. Yeah, blow some of that dino-dust back to the atmosphere. From the earth-To the earth. Its all part of the planet. do it, I dare ya.

Now you have a Clean Breathing Machine. It wont snap crackle or pop. save it for your morning cereal. out, ponch

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Alright, I gotta admit I did not use a marble, even though I have about two hundred of them in a glass jar. I stopped by Ace hardware and spent 40 cents on a rubber stopper 11/16 diameter, cut the first 3/4 " off the small end and pushed it into the AI hose and slipped it back onto the back side of the air box. Engine was already hot cause I been riding all morning so I saddled up and took her for a test drive. Prior to this she was popping and banging like crazy. Now she is totally quiet, well as far as the popping goes, and it is soooo nice not to hear all that fireworks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ponch just found thread going to do mod (just install Cobra 2 in 1 HP pipes and have MAJOR poppimg). Any final words of wisdom??? THanks!!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Ponch just found thread going to do mod (just install Cobra 2 in 1 HP pipes and have MAJOR poppimg). Any final words of wisdom??? THanks!!
IB, these here skoots come from the factory HOSED per epa specs. time for you to lose the hoses.
for those sensitive types that get offended by removal (oh, I might need to rehook all that crap back up for some nazi gov inspection agency) of all this crapola, hoses, air injection valves, epa addons infinum, stik with yor marbles and quit yappin' about all the racket it makes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts