Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My name's Raul Fabian, they call me ''fabster''.
I own a 1500 classic, from '96.See picture.
I bought the bike with a vance and hines exhaust, but in a very poor condition.
So i cut it down and mounted some handmade sport exhaust.
Stock air system was not used, instead a small foam filter was in use.
The bike run well let's say for those conditions.I do not know if carb was rejeted.
Meantime after <i mounted the new exhaust pipes, I also use now a UNI HD high flow air filter.Same carb.Bike runs as hell.But now bike is backfiring through carb, and pops in exhaust on deceleration, and sometimes stalls on low rpm.High RPM is ok.
Also last night at lets say 18 degrees celsius outside, the exhaust pipes were glowing red after 30 km, and fan is starting very often.
Beside all this I noticed a small oil leak at the rear cylinder cam plug I believe, it's above the reed valve.
Advice is most welcome.
Thx.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Pooping through the carb and the glowing pipes tell me its running way too lean. Sounds like you need to rework the jets.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Pooping through the carb and the glowing pipes tell me its running way too lean. Sounds like you need to rework the jets.
If you have poop coming through the carb, you really have problems! LOL:D

Yes, the bike is way too lean. You can often do one mod, like either pipes or air filter, without rejetting (though I don't recommend it) but not both. Hopefully you have not burnt a valve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the reply.
Is there a way to see if valves are damaged without takeing apart the engine?

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Smarter guys than me will have to answer that. I'm inclined to say no, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Short of taking heads off to look at them, a leak down test is the best way to knoe the condition of the cylinders. You'll need specail guages for this. Would just get it jetted right for your set up, and see how it runs. Then a compression test if you still have any doubts. If you get a popping at steady throttle, thats a good sign the valves are not sealing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts