Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gained a LOT of knowledge through this site and now in need of more:frown2:

I have a 05 Nomad 1600 with 45K miles.

Was out yesterday with a group and the better half for a cruise and all was good. Covered approx 150 mile no issues. we stopped to re-group and after 10 minutes I tried to restart. Turned over fine but would not catch. turned the key off/on (sometime the fuel pump does not kick in). Started this time but with a REALLY LOUD backfire and a bad noise...almost a squeek sound.

We were able to get home with out any decrease in power, the oil pressure did not change, temp was fine and no loss of power. Just that noise that changes with the rpm's.

I can confirm that it sounds like it is coming from the back cylinders

Some of the mods done before me are as follows:

Kuryakan Fuel Controller
K/N Filters with all the insides removed...reed valves, has backer plates, etc.
Cam Chain Extenders were done

Not sure where to start diagnosing this one, other than taking it to the dealer

·
Registered
117 Posts
So you rode it the 150 miles back home? Any backfiring on the way home, or any other weird noises? I assume your fuel pump is running properly? You mentioned that sometimes it doesn't start when you turn on the key. Is it possible that you had fuel dump when you turned on the key, and the backfire was just the extra fuel? I'm sure smarter minds will come along and help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mad it home no problem. Talk to a shop and they indicated may be an exhaust leak checked th reed valve plates and that may be it. Will get some new gaskets and see what happens

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stopped into a small shop yesterday and talked to a couple of mechanics. One indicated it sound like an exhaust problem. Checked it out today and sure enough it came from the reed valve plate I had put on about a month ago. When it backfired it blew a piece of the gasket out and that was making the whistling sound.

Added back the valve plate and then my cover and it sealed it up. Went for a ride and we see all food again.

Sfair...the trouble is in the ignition switch. Took it apart and may have to buy a new switch or find one that has been pulled. The piece with the contacts has a crack. Its on my to replace list

Thanks for the feedback all!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Stopped into a small shop yesterday and talked to a couple of mechanics. One indicated it sound like an exhaust problem. Checked it out today and sure enough it came from the reed valve plate I had put on about a month ago. When it backfired it blew a piece of the gasket out and that was making the whistling sound.

Added back the valve plate and then my cover and it sealed it up. Went for a ride and we see all food again.

Sfair...the trouble is in the ignition switch. Took it apart and may have to buy a new switch or find one that has been pulled. The piece with the contacts has a crack. Its on my to replace list

Thanks for the feedback all!!
Get rid of those reed valves, buy the plates they're cheap, it will rid you of about 10 feet of tubing.

I got rid of them, the left and right side dog bowls, the cold start solenoids, the intake tube between cylinders. the whole job took a couple of hours and the bike runs great! And no more clicking from the solenoids. Sounds better too with an open element air filter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have pulled all of that stuff. Ordered new gaskets today and have a buddy making up a set of stainless plates for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts