Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding my VN900 classic a few hundred miles every weekend. I get a pain right in the center of my back (not lower back) after I ride for an hour or more. It takes several days of not riding for the pain to go away. It seems that i lean forward and am a little hunched over when I'm riding. I'm not sure if I should start with windscreen to relieve some stress from the wind, the seat for better riding position or risers. Do you have any suggestions?

What size risers can I put on without extending the cables?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Your timing is impeccable bscarpenter. I've got a set of 3.5" (i think they're actually 4") risers on the way to me. I'm fairly certain I won't have to replace any cables, maybe just reroute if that.
I never realized how much I have to ride just the way you describe until I sat on a yamaha something or other at the dealer. It had a mustang seat w/ the driver back rest like mine "but" I was able to sit back or up straight comfortably. What a difference, it was the handlebars or where they were. I've got a shield and seat already but in my opinion I'd start w/ the risers.
One thing I probably should note is that the Mustang seat for the 900 does set you forward just a bit which would also probably help.

·
Registered
657 Posts
A driver backrest would also probably help a lot....

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't have a classic, I have a custom, but I had issues with my back and my wrist (I have carpal tunnel) with the standard bars because I was leaning over and my wrists were bent (not in a neutral position). I changed over to a set of 1500 classic risers and bars and that made all the difference. I can ride for hours without any wrist or back pain. I never changed my seat, but I added a Memphis Fats windshield. The windshield didn't make as big an impact as the bars on riding position/discomfort, unless your riding for hours. The windshield helps reduce fatigue from the wind trying to push you off the bike. I think that pain is located more in the neck and arm muscles from trying to hold on.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Wow that's a dedicated biker. Having 3 back surgeries just so he can ride his bike...

·
Registered
657 Posts
I can understand that... and I work in orthopedics...:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have used the "BackAlign' belt for years. It has helped with lower and middle back support because it forces the rider to hold better posture. I also have a custom Mustang seat which is firm and supportive of longer rides. You may indeed need to install risers for a more upright riding position, but check out BackAlign -- a good $40 investment.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
APE HANGERS! ;) I've actually heard that risers will help with a better position, but I've talked to several "taller" riders like myself (6'3") that swear by their apes now, although that's not the choice for everyone. I'm looking into putting some 16" apes on my custom over the winter and/or next spring to keep me from that hunched riding posture myself.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here is what I did for my wifes bike. She has a Yamaha VStar 1300T and she is 5'7" and had troubles having to streach to get a comfy fit to ride. Even after lowing the bars, that didn't help either, so I bought some Royal Star Tourer Deluxe bars from Yamaha. Instaled them a while ago, with no mods needed for cables,and she LOVES THEM, as it brought the bars back to her in a more natural position. My bike a 900LT is just right for me other than my ass and legs cramp after 75 miles. But I will fix that this winter with sending off the seat for a fix to mean city cyles. Thats a better fix for me than dropping 5 large for a mustang seat.

·
Registered
156 Posts
APE HANGERS! ;) I've actually heard that risers will help with a better position, but I've talked to several "taller" riders like myself (6'3") that swear by their apes now, although that's not the choice for everyone. I'm looking into putting some 16" apes on my custom over the winter and/or next spring to keep me from that hunched riding posture myself.
that what worked for me. i went with 10" mini apes on 5" risers. equal to a 13" ape. did wonders. once you go apes, you'll never go back.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a question for rs900c. are the bars on the 1500 similiar to the ones on the 900 classic? I ride a 900 custom and have compared that to a classic side by side. I have the reverse problem that you tall guys have. Being 5'6" I need the bars down and back. As it is now I have to "choke up" in the saddle and my hands still fall asleep after I've ridden for a while. I'm thinking I need to trade bars but am concerned about cable routing. Thanks for any other's opinions, too.Ya'll ride safe!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a question for rs900c. are the bars on the 1500 similiar to the ones on the 900 classic? I ride a 900 custom and have compared that to a classic side by side. I have the reverse problem that you tall guys have. Being 5'6" I need the bars down and back. As it is now I have to "choke up" in the saddle and my hands still fall asleep after I've ridden for a while. I'm thinking I need to trade bars but am concerned about cable routing. Thanks for any other's opinions, too.Ya'll ride safe!!!
Hey Gary, I know your question is for someone else but since I've had the same problem I figured it couldn't hurt. After buying the 900 I couldn't go very long without my hands and wrists going numb. I've made progress little by little. I first replaced my stock grips w/ ISO's. That didn't have quite the affect I was hoping for. It was more comfortable but didn't do the trick. Then I replaced the stock seat w/ a mustang w/ a driver backrest. I did this for comfort and it actually seemed to help w/ the hands. It moved the position of the seat more forward (closer to the bars). Then, I rotated the handlebars up to get a more natural hand position. That has had a dramatic effect on my hand numbing, it's helped quite a bit. I have ordered a set of 4" risers and don't expect to have to do a whole lot w/ the cables. I DO expect to get a lot more relief. I'll post after I receive them and install. Sorry for butting in but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the response, Gibby, like I said, all responses are welcome. I've looked at some websites that sells handlebars and risers separately which may be the best route. I'll have to go by the dealership with a tape measure and check the dimensions on the different bikes, and buy according to what fits best. I'm happy this is the only down note I've found with my 900 custom so far, having no ajustment on the handlebars. Great ride and a good looking bike!!! Can't blame Kawasaki my butts built too close the pavement!!! lol Ya'll have a good weekend and ride safe!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a question for rs900c. are the bars on the 1500 similiar to the ones on the 900 classic?
Gary, The reason I got the 1500 bars are because they had a little more rise than the 900 classic bars. I went to the dealer with tape measure in hand and sat on a bunch of bikes before I bought the 1500 bars. As far as the cables go, they just barely fit, if bars had any more rise or pull-back I would have had to change cables.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Gary, The reason I got the 1500 bars are because they had a little more rise than the 900 classic bars. I went to the dealer with tape measure in hand and sat on a bunch of bikes before I bought the 1500 bars. As far as the cables go, they just barely fit, if bars had any more rise or pull-back I would have had to change cables.
Thanks for the feedback! Looks like I'll be making one more trip to the dealership with my tape measure, soon as I get back from vacation. Ya'll ride safe, now!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Gary, I know your question is for someone else but since I've had the same problem I figured it couldn't hurt. After buying the 900 I couldn't go very long without my hands and wrists going numb. I've made progress little by little. I first replaced my stock grips w/ ISO's. That didn't have quite the affect I was hoping for. It was more comfortable but didn't do the trick. Then I replaced the stock seat w/ a mustang w/ a driver backrest. I did this for comfort and it actually seemed to help w/ the hands. It moved the position of the seat more forward (closer to the bars). Then, I rotated the handlebars up to get a more natural hand position. That has had a dramatic effect on my hand numbing, it's helped quite a bit. I have ordered a set of 4" risers and don't expect to have to do a whole lot w/ the cables. I DO expect to get a lot more relief. I'll post after I receive them and install. Sorry for butting in but I hope it helps.

I've got the same problem with hands going numb, never thought of rotating the handlebars. Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Like when i ride the horses

Ive found that if i sit up straighter and use my lower back and stomach muscles to maintain my sitting position I dont get the pain in my upper middle back , It takes the strain off my arms and hands and lets me keep a lighter touch on the grips. Im 6 ft and 225 lbs, and ride a custom, but that , at least , is what works for me.. Ride safe.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts