Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just figured I would post this...just because.

So today was the first time I rode my 900 into work since a truck cut me off in March causing me to lay down my bike (broken shoulder w/ surgery). My riding thoughts and after action is mixed feelings. I can say that I am very apprehensive and borderline paranoid of cars atm, and had a bit of a pucker factor when approaching the location where the incident occurred. That being said, I am happy to be riding again, but on the way home I found myself having no problem obeying the speed limit "for once".

Its an odd feeling to want to get on the bike and just go for a ride, and as soon as you sit down you start triple checking your mirrors for traffic before you even get the bike out of the garage.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome back. A little paranoia is healthy ;) After a few days, you'll be much more comfortable.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
While I didn't have anything near as serious as you; I was 'clipped' by a big truck pulling out of a driveway that came completely into my lane and 'clipped' my saddlebags, doing a little damage and spinning the bike, but somehow it stayed up!

I remember the first time I rode by that driveway after that. Man my heart was racing!

Kudos to getting back on it! Some guys won't. Take it easy man, and work up to it. Glad to hear you're back in the saddle.

And if I may offer a bit of advice- practice those brakes on that 900. These modern bikes stop faster, much faster, on tires than on skidding metal and parts sideways. Those 900 brakes are good but, at least for me, I have to practice with them about once a month. Practice using both brakes and stopping as hard as I can without locking them up. My thought is, if/when that moment comes that somebody decides to be where I already am, I don't want it to have been months and months since I last stopped hard.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
After I went down years ago, I would get home and my hands would be be pure white and I could hardly release them from the grips. I was griping those bars so tightly! Realizing what and why I was doing helped me get past it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
"Practice using both brakes and stopping as hard as I can without locking them up." - Romans

Big + on that! Also if you ride 2 up - practice hard braking on a regular bases!:good:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
People are going to dumb things so you've got to be realistic that an idiot is going to pull out in front of you... again.

If you ride enough and are around traffic, you can't relax. I thought I was pretty much alone yesterday on a two lane. Just as I came to a stop sign I checked mirror and saw a truck a good distance behind me. Before I could start moving again, the truck blew past me and thru the intersection. I didn't have time to be scared.

This type of thing has happened too many times in the past 24 mths which is why I always attempt to ride away from traffic on my pleasure trips.

Honestly, I don't know how I would feel right now if I'd been thru your ordeal. Glad to know you are back in the saddle and give yourself some time. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Glad you're healthy and back on the bike. Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Glad you are back. My father laid down his bike many years ago, breaking a few bones, and put a for sale sign on it the very next day. Hasn't gotten on another bike since. For some people it's like a light switch that is stuck in the off position, they just can't turn it back on again. For most of us tho, a little time and work and you'll be back and "comfortable" with riding again.

Personally I am just 2 weeks back on my ride. Took a nasty fall back (non-bike related) in March and broke both bones in my left arm. Pins came out 2 weeks ago. Clutch is giving my arm a much needed workout after no use for 2 months. Happy to be back riding myself.

Enjoy and be safe.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing alright, Just take it slow and enjoy the ride, there is no hurry in life it will be there when you get there

·
Registered
990 Posts
Cages

Squirrel502

Everyone of us has a tale of a bike hunting cager, though mine does not include a trip to the ER. On the other hand tho, I was backed over by a woman in a Ford Superduty at the drug store the other day and I was WALKING!!!! She now had a big crease in the tailgate that she will have to explain to her husband. Female canine never even came to see how I was doing after I punched the tailgate in, what a nerve! The process will take some time. I was run off the road into a soft ditch by a minivan passing me last year and I still don't trust anyone on vacation. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts