Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not technically a beginner, but it has been so long since I've ridden that I consider myself so. I bought my first bike about 6 years ago right after taking the MSF course. Sold the bike about a year later and was stuck on 4 wheels until about a week ago when I bought my 08 Mean Streak.

I'll admit that I was extremely nervous about getting back on the horse. My old bike was a 30 year old Magna V45. The engine size on the Mean Streak scared me a little, but I bought it anyway since I felt like this was the right bike for me. I decided I would putt around a parking lot for an hour (slow speed maneuvers seem to always be the issue with inexerienced riders) to get familiar with the bike and it felt like I was meeting an old friend. The weight is distributed so well that I had almost no problem running figure 8's and turning from a stop. I only killed the engine once and the exhaust sounds soooo sweet. Anyway, for posterity I'm going to be taking an intermediate street rider's course in September to properly get rid of my nervousness, but in the mean time I intend to put many miles on her.

Did anyone else take a similar approach or am I just being too worrisome?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Similar but different for me. I had a Nighthawk 550 back in 2000 for a few years. My beginner bike and what a fantastic beginner bike it was. So docile up to 6000 RPM. Then I ripped it past 6k in the spring after buying and riding for the first time for a few months of the previous fall. Wow, hang on when I got up past 6k to the 10.5 redline!

Spec wise, it is said to do 0-60 in 4 seconds. After 15 years, I didn't want to bother with the buying small, then getting rid of it shortly and getting the one I wanted (big motor). So, bought the Nomad. Spec on it I've read in the 0-60 in 8 second range. I was surprised at that.

It's an opposite experience I'm having. The thing is way top heavy compared to other friends' 750+ lb. bikes. Slow speed is really trying for me, but I have to get out for a full time of practice.

Biggest problem for me is once I'm at a point of turning the bars, it feels like it wants to flop to full turn. I am using effort to hold the bars from turning too much rather than turning the required amount to maneuver slow speed. I am also reaching quite a bit which I hope to rectify this afternoon with risers that should arrive.

I am struggling to like this bike, '02 Nomad 1500. I'm also amazed at how incredibly slow this thing is. Good low end torque which is what I want, just amazingly slow for a motorcycle. My POS Mazda 3 would outrun this thing.

Good luck and hope you enjoy that Meanstreak. I unfortunately because of rain don't have a lot of miles on my beast since buying in April. I think I only passed 1000 miles this past weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts