Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just got back from a two day test ride of my nine with both pulley's and 170-80 rear tire. I was very please, felt like a true overdrive. Speedometer is off about 5 mph to the slow side while mpg jumped to 51 over a two day hard ride in all types of conditions one would encounter. Fourth actually feels like the former fifth. I don't know if I would recommend this but it is smoother at a higher speed and I felt the difference in the rear tire. I had to get used to the new handling......This was documented with the GPS test bike and the mpg was based off of the GPS and not my bike. I used his mileage and my gallons used to compute. I am getting back to you as promised took a while due to weather.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I just have the front pulley and at 70mph I am showing 4k on the tach. Do you have a tach were we can compare?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Archer

I was turning about 3500 at 75 as best we could tell. I am not sure how good my tach is. The ride was smoother but if I were to do it much I would move up in bike size for more comfort etc.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Sage, which pulleys did you go with? My speedo doesn't seem to be off very much so that's not an issue at present. But I would like to drop the RPM at highway speeds. Losing "get up and go" isn't an issue either since I don't race my bike. That's what crotch rockets are for.
Thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
I did the pulley mods a while ago, and found this website to be very helpful
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

I also run 3500 rpm on Barron tack at 70MPH actual. I have not noticed any lack of get up and go but other mods help that.

I run a 2nd Gen Scootworks front pulley and a custom 61 tooth rear pulley, and a 195/65 rear tire. According to the gearing calculator my bike is 13% overdrive in all gears.

I can say i RECOMMEND doing a pulley swap, but no smaller than 62 tooth on the rear.

Hope the website helps you out.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Mines turning 3900 RPM at 70 MPH indicated with stock pulleys for comparison.I am using a Cobra tachometer.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think we've had this discussion before:

The speedo will always "indicate" the same speed at any given RPM in 5th gear, no matter what pulley/tire combo you run. The speedo gets its data from the transmission output shaft, not the road speed.

What changes is your "ACTUAL" speed, moving down the road.

I'm running the OEM Kawi tach, and it shows 4,000 rpm when the speedo indicates 120kph, or 75mph.

That will never change.

Since I am running the Barons rear pulley and the 230 rear tire, I'm moving down the road faster than what my speedo indicates...by around 5%, give or take, IIRC.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
Well, I just got back from a two day test ride of my nine with both pulley's and 170-80 rear tire. I was very please, felt like a true overdrive. Speedometer is off about 5 mph to the slow side while mpg jumped to 51 over a two day hard ride in all types of conditions one would encounter. Fourth actually feels like the former fifth. I don't know if I would recommend this but it is smoother at a higher speed and I felt the difference in the rear tire. I had to get used to the new handling......This was documented with the GPS test bike and the mpg was based off of the GPS and not my bike. I used his mileage and my gallons used to compute. I am getting back to you as promised took a while due to weather.
I'm assuming you went with the Barons 62 tooth. Was it a direct bolt on or did your have to shimmy it?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think we've had this discussion before:

The speedo will always "indicate" the same speed at any given RPM in 5th gear, no matter what pulley/tire combo you run. The speedo gets its data from the transmission output shaft, not the road speed.

What changes is your "ACTUAL" speed, moving down the road.

I'm running the OEM Kawi tach, and it shows 4,000 rpm when the speedo indicates 120kph, or 75mph.

That will never change.

Since I am running the Barons rear pulley and the 230 rear tire, I'm moving down the road faster than what my speedo indicates...by around 5%, give or take, IIRC.

Yea I totally forgot about that. I feel like an idiot now because I'm usually the guy setting it straight. Anyway, with just the front pulley I am within 1mph of what my car spedo reads with my wife driving beside me. So I guess that's not worth much unless I check against a GPS because my car could be a couple MPH off.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pulley / tire swap

Yes, I have the Baron's pulleys and it was a direct bolt on, no shims or shimmy. I understand all the comments and the math lessons to which I agree, but I will take my smoother ride without a doubt. My mpg is also better by about 4-5 mpg due to this swap, checked by GPS not my incorrect speedometer. I don't notice very much difference on the low end take off etc. Maybe a little more clutch but not much. I enjoy trying and testing stuff like this. I am always thinking and tinkering. If you need more than what you have move up to a larger bike and use the money to pay on the difference. All in all the nine is a great bike I enjoy mine immensely.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One reason I went with the rear tire swap and pulley was due to the fact I could not run just the 170-80 tire because it was too close to the inner fender etc. I had less than a 1/4" clearance. I haven't figured this out, some of you did this and no problem. My bike is nine yrs. old according to mfg stamp I don't plan to ride it after this yr. so I have been trying some different approaches. This may be my last yr. on the road trying to decide on an 700 dct or just hang it up all together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts