Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good weather today in Tn. Only day this week, rain and 59 tomorrow. I installed both OD pulley's and the 170-80 rear tire, made a lot of difference. I need third gear below 40 and fourth below 50.......I do a lot of distance riding and this will help. I have had larger bikes but got hurt in 2003 non-bike related.
Sold all three and started over with the nine. I enjoy the feel and aesthetics of this bike. If I wasn't so old I would buy bigger again, but this year may well be my last full season of riding......

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Enjoy the ride! The 900 is great for exactly what you're describing. Having bigger bike ride quality without actually being a bigger bike.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you were born in '65 , you're not THAT old.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you were born in '65 , you're not THAT old.
You got that right! He/she would be just a kid (compared to me ? )
I'm so old the year on my birth certificate is in Roman Numerals! ?

I know, pretty bad joke, but it's been a long winter up here in MA and we haven't quite thawed out yet...

WEG

·
Registered
536 Posts
sage1965...Sorry to hear about your weather....this life in Southern Utah is amazing and I have logged over 1,100 miles in the last 6 days. In back to back rides I hit 95 degree weather in Las Vegas and the next day 37 degrees near Cedar Breaks National Monument about 200 miles north of Vegas but solid sunshine in both places. Just remember riding keeps you young.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Good weather today in Tn. Only day this week, rain and 59 tomorrow. I installed both OD pulley's and the 170-80 rear tire, made a lot of difference. I need third gear below 40 and fourth below 50.......I do a lot of distance riding and this will help. I have had larger bikes but got hurt in 2003 non-bike related.
Sold all three and started over with the nine. I enjoy the feel and aesthetics of this bike. If I wasn't so old I would buy bigger again, but this year may well be my last full season of riding......

Have you verified your actual speed with both overdrive pulleys "&" the 170/80 rear tire? You are now most likely going faster than your speedo is saying. I found that with just the overdrive pulleys my speedo is about dead on, maybe even slightly slower than actual speed. Some just put on the rear 170/80 larger tire instead of a rear pulley swap to save the expense.

I used a gps speed app on my phone to verify. Compared to that I was consistently going 2mph faster than the speedo was indicating. I would check it if I were you, just saying.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Speed Pulley's etc. test

I have a test time set up when it stops raining. I am sure there are some discrepancies. It was off by two mph with just the front pulley which was much closer than stock. Now with the set up I have I am doing a gps run to verify. I will let you know how much it is off or what ever...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pulley's and tires

I had the front pulley for a long time. I also had the rear pulley for a few. I was waiting until I needed a rear tire to change it, saving me one time of pulling the rear. I didn't know of the rear tire thingy when I bought the pulley's. I've probably had the rear pulley since 2010. I installed the front and waited on the rear as previously stated.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My speedometer was off 4-6 mph in stock configuration, almost spot on with the front pulley, well closer. I know it will be off some now and am anxious to see just how much. Still raining.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Have you verified your actual speed with both overdrive pulleys "&" the 170/80 rear tire? You are now most likely going faster than your speedo is saying. I found that with just the overdrive pulleys my speedo is about dead on, maybe even slightly slower than actual speed. Some just put on the rear 170/80 larger tire instead of a rear pulley swap to save the expense.

I used a gps speed app on my phone to verify. Compared to that I was consistently going 2mph faster than the speedo was indicating. I would check it if I were you, just saying.
I know this isn't the most accurate, but stock bike with my wife riding behind me in the car I held up my hand 3 times during a short drive home. When we got there the three numbers she gave were all exactly 4mph slower than indicated speed. That was stock

With just the front pulley and stock tires, we did the same trick coming home from the bike shop on Saturday and 2 out of the 3 times I gave her the signal she quoted me within 1 mph of my actual speed. the first time was a downhill and she was still catching up so she indicated 3mph fast. So I would say my speedo is real close now compared to my car at least. Would be interesting to do a GPS spedo comparison for real accuracy but I think this will be close enough for me. I will probably end up with the taller rear tire just because they don't make the new Metzeler 888 white wall in the stock size. I have a few miles before I have to worry about that though.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Now I'm curious. It's been quite a while since I verified mine. Going to double check on the next outing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts