Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just thought I would drop a line and say hello and say that I just came back from my Longest Bike trip yet.

I left on Saturday June 6th from Winnipeg in 2°C (36°F) weather and rode from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan to Medicine Hat, Alberta in Rain and snow. When I got to the Hat I believe I was Hypothremic it took me a couple of hours to warm up. That day was a 1052 km (654 miles) and I was kicking myself for not buying electric clothing this spring. The next day (Sunday) I rode to Osoyoos, British Columbia (935 km or 581 miles) and I had cold, heat, a thunder storm and hail. Still kicking myself for not buying electric clothing. Monday was an easy day (415 km or 258 miles) from Osoyoos to Victoria, British Columbia (Finally nice weather). Up to this point I had never been on hwy 3 (Crows Nest) pass Cranbrook and all I can say is WOW. And on a bike is even better. Princeton to Hope with the Hairpin turns is fun. Once in Victoria My wife (Shawna) flew in the next day and we spent a week visiting with my brother and his family. Shawna flew back to Winnipeg on Monday (June 15th) and I started back on Tuesday. Victoria to Hope up the Coquilla to Merritt then the the old hwy to Kamloops (very senic and twisty) and lastly Hwy 5 to Valemount. That day was 690 km (429 miles) and very hot. I left Valemount Wednesday Morning and it was cool so I plugged in my new heated vest that I bought Victoria and was nice and toasty. I rode into Jasper for breakfast then down the Icefields parkway (Did all the touristy things) to Lake Louise and Banff then over to Calgary for the night (540 km or 336 miles). I left Calgary on Thrusday and again I had to plug in (This is June for crying out loud) and rode to Regina (765 km or 475 miles). Again great weather except for the cold in the morning and a small shower outside of Swift Current. On Friday I left Regina and rode home to Winnipeg (586 km or 364 miles) in beautiful weather. Hated the grooved pavement from Virden to just pass Oak Lake for 30 km (19 miles).

From start to finish I put on 5433 km (3376 miles) in 2 weeks and I had a blast.

Things I learned on this trip:
1) Buy Heated Clothing (I'm not 20 anymore)
2) Drink lots of water (Lots of miles dehydrate you no matter the weather conditions)
3) There are Timmies everywhere (Canadian Coffee shop chain)
4) Every Motel, Resturant, and roadside stop you will have somebody come and talk to you
5) Hail hurts

Below are some pictures I took.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cool trip. I enjoyed hearing about it. Especially cold and snow.

I find it hard to believe that it's cool anywhere given the weather we're having in South Texas. Mornings in the 80's (f) afternoons around 104, so far, it keeps climbing :eek:.

We're use to the heat, but it seems to be starting off extra early this year. August is usually a killer month but this year it looks like it might be extra bad.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Great pics and trip report! I would love to take a trip like that...after I invest in some heated gear.:D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Crooksie, welcome home, it's great to hear about your adventures. I was thinking about you when you left and we were in the midst of the coldest spring on record. At least it warmed up by the time you got back.

As for your tip about drinking lots of water, I keep a bottle of water in my tool pouch that's mounted like yours inside the windshield. If you get the bottles with the nipply thingy on top you can pull it out with one hand while you are riding and open it with your teeth.

Did you have any tunes to listen to? MP3, satellite? or just your own thoughts rattling around in your head? Man that's some long hours on a bike.

Did you figure your gas mileage? What were you averaging for speed?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BigMoe,

Whenever I go on the hiway I listen to tunes. I came back from Victoria about 4 years ago when I bought my last bike and didn't have any tunes and it almost drove me mad.

Doing 120 kph (75 mph) I was averaging about 41 mpg. I thinking the windshield and my wieght must bring the milage down. The bike is running like a top and I can't seem to get better than 44 mpg. Only once when my brother and I were out and we did 300 km (186 miles) with an average speed of 80 kph (50 mph) did I get over 50 mpg.

Question for you BigMoe. I was wondering if we could meet up some time like in Portage. I would like to see the Mustang seat you have and If it is OK with you I would like to try it on my bike for quick ride to see if it will fit me better. Lunch or a late Breakfast would be on me.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Great pics and trip report! I would love to take a trip like that...after I invest in some heated gear.:D
yea, 36* is freaking cold! I don't like riding below 40* even with a tshirt, hoodie, and jacket on top, and jeans and 'long jon' insulated underpants for the bottom... gets mighty chilly at speed!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
That was great Crooksie, I'm surprised this forum doesn't have a "trip report" section!.

·
Registered
256 Posts
BigMoe,

Question for you BigMoe. I was wondering if we could meet up some time like in Portage. I would like to see the Mustang seat you have and If it is OK with you I would like to try it on my bike for quick ride to see if it will fit me better. Lunch or a late Breakfast would be on me.
Sounds like a great idea and the timing is right. I'm off work from the 27th to the 4th, had some vacation and overtime to use up. Watch the weather forecast and pm me. I get asked about the Mustang seat often but it was on the bike when I bought it so I never tried the stock seat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great report and great pictures Crooksie, even the SK pics ;)
Nice looking bike too. Thanks for the updates

Ride Safe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts