Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a set of Avon grips and I'm having issues with the clutch side grip, after almost 24hrs its still very loose. I followed the instructions and am wondering if I should just pull it back off and throw some super glue in it and give that a shot

·
Registered
183 Posts
You cleaned the bar really well before before the install? Almost everywhere I've read and the several videos on YouTube they all use grip glue. You may look into that if you didn't already put glue on. Hope your issue gets resolved.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I cleaned the bar and used the double sided adhesive strip that came with the grips. I've never heard of grip glue, is it something you can pickup at a local Ace Hardware?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd try a motorcycle shop for the specific type. But I'm sure a true value or some place would have something that'd work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've never seen the inside of Avon grips, but I've had no slippage at all with my Kuyrakyn flame iso grips just using hairspray. As long as the grip has a fairly snug fit on the bar without any adhesive, spraying hairspray on the bar and inside the grip makes it slide on smoothly and easy to rotate into final position before the hairspray dries. I've never had one come loose on it's own.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately its not that tight of a grip, it was made to have the double sided grip tape installed under it so I was going to try to leave that in there(its apparently not very sticky at all) and then try some super glue or as Joshwelch9 suggested grip glue, which I've never heard of

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've heard that grip glue is really just some type of common superglue, maybe a gel type that sets slightly slower to make it easier to adjust quickly. I really don't know, have never used any myself.

I've also never used hairspray (or anything) to set grips that don't fit snugly, but I've heard that it still works fine if the bar is wrapped with tape to get the right fit. I've seen electrical tape mentioned, I think the grip just has to be snug enough that it's in contact with the bar all the way around since the hairspray isn't really going to fill any gap. This makes sense for regular superglue too.

The first time I tried hairspray, I figured I had nothing to lose. If it didn't hold, I could just clean it off and use something else. Turns out I haven't used anything else since. :)

I was even careful to not leave greasy fingerprints on my wife's hairspray can, that would be the only real danger for me. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just pulled the grip and cleaned the goopy residue, being I'm single I don't have any hairspray so I think I'm just going to try some gorilla glue or super glue. Don't see any reason why that shouldn't hold

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did try Gorilla Glue once a long time ago. It took a long time to dry, and loosened up the first time it got wet. I think that was the last glue I used before trying hairspray. Before the the Gorilla Glue I had used superglue that came with the grips, which worked fine for a while but broke loose every few months which is why I eventually tried the Gorilla Glue. This was on the smooth rubber of the grip and the chrome bar, so it might work great on different a different grip and taped bar for all I know. Just offering what I've tried, use whatever works for you! :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it looks like I'll be picking up some hairspray in that case, thanks for the heads up. How long should I give it to dry?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've always waited at least an hour. I spray it thick around the bar, with a beach towel draped over the tank and around the bar/clutch lever to catch overspray, then put the can nozzle right up to the grip and spray it directly inside for about a second and slide the grip right on to the position I want. The wet spray makes it easier to slide the grip on than it was without it, like a lubricant. You don't need expensive or "mega" hold hairspray, just get generic cheap stuff in an aerosol can.

Anyway, it works for me and apparently other people, I get the impression it's an old trick that goes way back before my time. Regular superglue does work, but the trick with that is to put the grip on in one smooth motion quickly because it will likely set the instant you stop and I was always scared of only getting the grip on part-way. I'll never go back to superglue now. :)

If you ever have a need for quick spray adhesive for stuff like sticking photos to posterboard or stuff like that, hang on to the can of hairspray. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll give it a shot, I'll put up my results after I do it tomorrow

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I'll be darn, sure enough hairsprays currently holding that grip like cement. Thanks for the advise!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used the hairspray on my Avon grip also, but I also cut three strips of electrical tape and place them lengthwise down the bar. So far, so good. Thanks guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts