Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody prefer one over the other. I have noticed that the avon looks larger even though they are the same dimensions. Right now i am leaning towards the Avon Venom.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did some research and went with the avon. Got it here locally for 200 mounted.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yes the Venom is a larger tire than the Metz even though they should be the same. I have the Avon on the rear and a Metzler on the front and I prefer the Avon brand over the Metz. The avon I bought new but on craigslist with a shelf live of like 7yrs and the metz I got brand new and the avon seems to be holding much better than the metz. On the metz I can see cracking and some wear while the avon still looks like new. Price difference is not much so I would highly recommend the avon at least over the dunlop or the metz.

·
Registered
109 Posts
1 Vote for Metzeler

I went with the Metzeler ME880's. I've read good and bad about both, but not as much bad as the OEM Dunlops. My local M/C shop mechanic could get me either but he said he's had less complaints about the Metz's. And no matter what you do; I'd get both from the same manufacturer and both the same model. Of course, get the proper front and rear tire. Metzeler also recommends a 200 mile break-in period with speeds not exceeding 60mph and they also recommend higher inflation pressures than what's in the Kawi manuals. I wouldn't doubt that the differences in tire construction (carcass, tread and compound) between manufacturers may show up as unfavorable handling characteristics with different manufacturer's tires front and rear especially considering such a wide tire in the rear with a relatively skinny tire up front. And it is quite common to have slight differences in actual physical tire size and the specified or marked size. You'll see that in automotive tires also. I've had the ME880's on for 3 weeks now and the bike handles much better. Gone is the buzz in the handlebars and squirmy front end, feels more positive. Of course this is all subjective, but the Dunlops would track cracks and grooves so much so that it would surprise me. The Metz’s don't seem to be as prone to follow or track grooves or grates on bridges. Good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just ran through the comments on this subject on a couple of other forums (it was all I could find).

Common opinion is against Dunlop. Both Avon and Metzler are liked but, you can find as many that prefer one as the other. It is probably subjective to some extent. The problem with Metzlers is that, they make tires in Brazil which are smaller than the stated size and seem to handle differently. Overall opinion is, ask where the tires are made and get the ones made in Germany.

One thing I know.They put Avons on Rolls Royce & Bentley where price is no object and customer satisfaction is everything. When the time comes, I think I will go that way. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ran through the comments on this subject on a couple of other forums (it was all I could find).

Common opinion is against Dunlop. Both Avon and Metzler are liked but, you can find as many that prefer one as the other. It is probably subjective to some extent. The problem with Metzlers is that, they make tires in Brazil which are smaller than the stated size and seem to handle differently. Overall opinion is, ask where the tires are made and get the ones made in Germany.

One thing I know.They put Avons on Rolls Royce & Bentley where price is no object and customer satisfaction is everything. When the time comes, I think I will go that way. Just my opinion.
This was a factor in why I went with the Avon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts