Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is to big for my bike, thought it would be ok but @ high way speed even getting close to 70 mph it hits when balloons up.When guard melted, after stop it fused to tire couple times & took nickle size chunks out of tire heard it one time after starting out heard thud.So if you put one of these tires on you need to have more than a 1/8th inch clearance from guard

So now I,m wondering if the metzeler this size will fit ,I really did like the bigger tire for gearing & speedo accuracy or if I should go with a170/80 or something

Belt ajustment was just under half,if & when belts stretchs a 1/4 inch I will put this tire back on

Attachments

·
Registered
719 Posts
My Avon only rubbed above the top two mounting bolts of the shield, but I knew that when I put the tire on and trimmed the shield. When I lowered the bike 2" I cut more of the shield for 2-up riding since potholes would cause the tire to rub. I've also got the OEM pulleys. The belt won't stretch 1/4".

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems, xcbullet, but i'm with Baitis... if your belt stretches 1/4", it's broke. Belts don't stretch like the chains will.

Maybe you could go for a 200/65 or 200/60 tire? That way you could keep the approximate width while coming down a little in the height.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I really doubt the tire is ballooning. It's not like it's on a drag bike or anything. I know guys running their fenders right on top of their rear tire on much more powerful bikes without any troubles. Any chance something got caught between the tire and guard?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the guard off & it still rubs the steel tube on top,you can smell it start to hit @ 67 mph.The reason it balloons so is because its squeezed into the small rim,the side walls start to straighten out with centrifugal force.

Might try to burn some of the rubber off but I,m afraid of the bike getting away from me on the whole shut .Never done this & don,t now if it will wheely or burn the rubber.Any tips

·
Registered
105 Posts
I took the guard off & it still rubs the steel tube on top,you can smell it start to hit @ 67 mph.The reason it balloons so is because its squeezed into the small rim,the side walls start to straighten out with centrifugal force.

Might try to burn some of the rubber off but I,m afraid of the bike getting away from me on the whole shut .Never done this & don,t now if it will wheely or burn the rubber.Any tips
I wonder if it's more because of the extra weight transferred on the rear wheel during higher acceleration and the fender actually "squatting" toward the tire more?

·
Registered
711 Posts
On Kawasaki motorcycles forum many including myself have the Avon 200/70/15 with zero issues. I even ride 2up very often at speeds well over 70 with again zero issues. XCBULLET did you lower the bike?? or are you runing the SW front pulley? if the answere is no to both then you may need strech your belt a bit more. I had mine done at the dealer and between the new avon 200/70/15 and the inner fender there is about 1/4 + of an inch of clearance.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Even over tightened it once to the point of leaving rubber on the cogs,still hits. Rideing 2 up or hitting bumps has no effect on this hitting bar of swing arm or shield as this all moves with the tire up & down.

Think I,m going to have to go to the dark side.Thats the only way I,ll recoop the cost of being differant.Should be able to get 30,000 miles on the altimax & it looks closer to the size I,m wanting.Hope I can get it on the rim.I do like the idea of the custom rim like vulcan08 has gone to,tubes suck

·
Registered
719 Posts
With stock pulleys and belt the 200 tire shouldn't rub. There's something going on that's being missed. The tire won't ballon unless defective. Mine's cruised at 85mph for some long rides with no problems.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is to big for my bike, thought it would be ok but @ high way speed even getting close to 70 mph it hits when balloons up.When guard melted, after stop it fused to tire couple times & took nickle size chunks out of tire heard it one time after starting out heard thud.So if you put one of these tires on you need to have more than a 1/8th inch clearance from guard

So now I,m wondering if the metzeler this size will fit ,I really did like the bigger tire for gearing & speedo accuracy or if I should go with a170/80 or something

Belt ajustment was just under half,if & when belts stretchs a 1/4 inch I will put this tire back on
Is your bike lowered???

I thought the Avon 200 was a sure fit on our bikes.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Bike is stock never been droped that I know of.What I,m wondering is where every one else ajustment is @ for the tire.This is a first year bike so maybe the jig to put the swing arm together got changed early on in production.

Altimax 195/65-15 hp on order from discount tire

I probly won,t be able to sell tire with bugger spots even though they are small enough they don,t effect ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts