Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just did a dusk/night ride and even after changing the stock halogen bulb to LED equivalent, there were some parts of the road (was riding in rural area) that was too dark.

I stumbled upon these 15W aux lights. Just wondering would these lights be able to run on the Vulcan? Would I need the relay kit? I was gonna get the relay kit anyway because I want to install a DC outlet.

Thanks

More info in the aux lights:

Input Power: Real 16Watt/pc
Rated Current: 1.24Amp (plus or minus 0.2Amp) at 13.2V
Votage: DC 9-85V, 12V 24V available

·
Registered
2017 Vulcan 900 Classic
687 Posts
It appears to come with a switch. That said, I would do a relay just because I am that kinda person. Hopefully you have given some thought to where you will source power and whether you will go with "switched" or "always on".
I am not a fan of tapping into primary systems for power.
But I am sure you will proceed as you feel best.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears to come with a switch. That said, I would do a relay just because I am that kinda person. Hopefully you have given some thought to where you will source power and whether you will go with "switched" or "always on".
I am not a fan of tapping into primary systems for power.
But I am sure you will proceed as you feel best.
Thanks for your reply. What do you mean 'where you will source power?' Wouldn't it come from the battery? I'd only have it on when riding (yes I'll add the switch) and I'd assume the alternator would charge the battery as I ride.

Does this make sense? I'm am new at all of this...

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Thanks for your reply. What do you mean 'where you will source power?' Wouldn't it come from the battery? I'd only have it on when riding (yes I'll add the switch) and I'd assume the alternator would charge the battery as I ride.

Does this make sense? I'm am new at all of this...
The implication of "where will you source the power" is do you plan to try to tie into an existing switched or existing always live circuit, or do you plan on running a new, separate/dedicated circuit for the lights.

I'd opine most suggest a new, dedicated circuit from the battery with it's own fuse and switched power relay is the way to go for accessories, but that is more work and expense.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The implication of "where will you source the power" is do you plan to try to tie into an existing switched or existing always live circuit, or do you plan on running a new, separate/dedicated circuit for the lights.

I'd opine most suggest a new, dedicated circuit from the battery with it's own fuse and switched power relay is the way to go for accessories, but that is more work and expense.
Thanks for the info - I didn't think about that. I was just going to have my electrical engineer neighbour install it. 😂
I just want the lights to turn on when I flick a switch vs. always on.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Thanks for the info - I didn't think about that. I was just going to have my electrical engineer neighbour install it. 😂
I just want the lights to turn on when I flick a switch vs. always on.
You can have them on a relay and still use a switch. The switch gives you control, but the relay saves your battery if you get distracted at an extended stop and forget to turn them off.

Reactions: KawiCanuck
1 - 6 of 6 Posts