Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my bike dyno'd Friday at Fuel Moto in Wisconsin. Talking with the guy who was working on the bike he said the AutoTune should only try to adjust my fuel map a few points after the bike was dyno'd.

Today I plugged in my laptop and downloaded the map and the AutoTune module is still trying to pull a lot of fuel from my map. The tuner did not change the AFR's I had programmed in the PCV, just the fuel map.

I'm a bit confused. How does the tuner decide what AFR to use for each throttle position/rpm combination ? Does he adjust the fuel map to hit the AFR's I already had in my PCV ?

I sent an email to the shop along with a copy of my map, should hear a reply from them tomorrow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've noticed this as well, interested to here what he has to say about it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used to own a shop and we had a dyno jet dyno with the eddie brake. You have to remember that when you are at the shop running your bike on the Dyno you are not really getting real world numbers. The room plays into it more then you think. The heat of the room the air exchange. Plus you are only doing one gear and a full throttle run. Maybe he did a half throttle run but still while you are ridding down the road and the auto tune is taking readings all the time every % and RPM. I my opinion the auto tune is a great investment and the dyno is a thing of the past. Also they shop may have tuned it for 14.0 inlieu of 13.2 like the grid on the auto tune suggests. Plus you dont know the state of the O2 sensor. We had to clean ours all the time to get accurate readings.

There is a grid that you set the target AF ratio in for under the auto tune section. You have to make sure the auto tune module is powered up when you connect the power commander otherwise it will not pick it up.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked with a tech at the shop that performed the dyno and he had me update the firmware in the PCV to the latest version, delete the trim tables and told me to ride around for a while and recheck the trim tables. He said he has seen a similar problem and this is the first step to figuring out which component may be faulty.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The latest firmware update is from May this year. Chances are that isnt going to make a bit of difference. Plus the firmware doesnt say anything about fixing a problem with auto tune.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The latest firmware update is from May this year. Chances are that isnt going to make a bit of difference. Plus the firmware doesnt say anything about fixing a problem with auto tune.
My thoughts too but this was the first step.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been playing around with Auto Tune a bunch and I have noticed that I get different readings at different temperatures through out the day. That is why I think you are getting different readings after you had it dynoed. Changed from one night to the next day and big differences. So my thoughts are to get the map switch and try and get the best day time map and night time map then load them in then be able to switch between the two. Also about the firmware I went to update it from the file I downloaded and it was the same update I already had loaded in the PC V. Keep us posted on what you find with your shop.

As I stated before I think the dyno is going to be a thing in the past as now we are able to collect data in real time and real world applications. I love it so far and have noticed a huge difference in the way the bike runs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts