Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those that have installed a PCV and Autotune, what wire did you tap into to power the Autotune? The Red wire from the Autotune.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I don't remember which wire I used but I did follow the instructions that came with the PCV. The unit has a led that lights up when you turn the key on which powers the unit. If it don't light up you are not getting power to it I would assume. I would go back and check my connections if you are on the right wire. I can look tomorrow and let you know if that helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There appears to be an LED on the front of the Autotune module. Should that be lit constantly if it is getting power? Mine does not light up at all. I tapped into the Blue wire next to the battery(tail light?). I checked to see if there was any power to that wire when the ignition was turned on and there was.

Frank

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I was just looking at the instructions for your unit. You should have it right and yes the light should be lit when key is on. I would check the posi-tap to make sure you got a good splice.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unscrewed end of positap and checked voltage. Around 11 when key is on. Anyway to test autotune unit?
Dynoject closed today

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I would think that is low voltage, it should be right at the same as your battery voltage. But it still should light up. I don't have any experience with testing the units. I would call support asap to see what they say at this point. Bummer is you will have to wait till Monday. Sorry I could not help more.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad ground and a bad power will supply will cause you problems. Got Autotune working and made my first 30 minute ride. Accepted the trims and will go out again. Very pleased so far.

Frank

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Unscrewed end of positap and checked voltage. Around 11 when key is on. Anyway to test autotune unit?
Dynoject closed today
Should work on 11V, I'd think, but by the same token I'd think there should be more than 11V unless the battery is weak or discharged.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: I have a 2010 Voyager, PCV (Fuel & Ignition) with Autotune just installed, K&N Air Filter, Cobra 4" Scalloped Tip Slip-ons and the exhaust manifolds wrapped. The map that came with it was for a stock 2009 Voyager. I rode a 30 mile loop I ride sometmes and immediated noticed the engine ran smoother, had more power and torque and the gas mileage increased based on the computer. I know they are not accurate but prior loops I got 43-44 mpg. Today it showed 47. Looked at the trims when I got back and took some fuel out in some places. Accepted all trims and saved. Went back out again riding 2 up and rode about 80 miles. Again, noticeable difference in how the engine ran, the HP and torque. Was really noticeable in 6th gear on the highway. MPG showed 44.5. Really impressed with the setup for now. I will continue fine tuning the map and will share with anyone that is interested.

Frank

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Update: I have a 2010 Voyager, PCV (Fuel & Ignition) with Autotune just installed, K&N Air Filter, Cobra 4" Scalloped Tip Slip-ons and the exhaust manifolds wrapped. The map that came with it was for a stock 2009 Voyager. I rode a 30 mile loop I ride sometmes and immediated noticed the engine ran smoother, had more power and torque and the gas mileage increased based on the computer. I know they are not accurate but prior loops I got 43-44 mpg. Today it showed 47. Looked at the trims when I got back and took some fuel out in some places. Accepted all trims and saved. Went back out again riding 2 up and rode about 80 miles. Again, noticeable difference in how the engine ran, the HP and torque. Was really noticeable in 6th gear on the highway. MPG showed 44.5. Really impressed with the setup for now. I will continue fine tuning the map and will share with anyone that is interested.
Frank
I would like to try your map. Please send it to [email protected]

Thank You

·
Registered
765 Posts
The dash MPG has no idea your PCV is modifying the amount of fuel the ECU is sending to the injectors. The only way to calculate MPG is to keep track of mileage and fuel receipts.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
The dash MPG has no idea your PCV is modifying the amount of fuel the ECU is sending to the injectors. The only way to calculate MPG is to keep track of mileage and fuel receipts.
I agree to that 100%. I've been saying that to other guys but I don't think they believed me.:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wbilotta,
How is the information on the dash LCD calculated?

Frank

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Wbilotta,
How is the information on the dash LCD calculated?
Frank
The onboard computer knows the RPM, what gear you are in, how fast you're going and how much fuel is being used and how much gas is left in the tank at any given moment. From those information inputs the onboard computer will calculate your miles per gallon and range.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, is the onboard computer reading the amount of fuel that is actually being used via the PCV?

·
Registered
765 Posts
So, is the onboard computer reading the amount of fuel that is actually being used via the PCV?
No, the PCV intercepts the fuel signal the ECU is trying to send to the injectors, adds/subtracts fuel and then sends a signal to the fuel injectors.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Frank

1 - 19 of 19 Posts